Chapter 8

School carried on as normal, Iris attended her classes with the murmurs of students echoing in her ears. It seemed, even though strange things happened all the time, Beacon Hills High School's student body felt entitled to talk about the happening until everyone knew it happened. Ms. Blake's classroom still smelled of raven's blood and something worse, Iris couldn't name what it was. Every time she walked into the room, she was reminded of the horrific event.

But at the same time, whenever she looked at Stiles, she felt his arm warm arm around her back. It shouldn't have left such an impression on her, but it did. The thoughts made her brain bristle with anxiety and her heartbeat seemed to speed up considerably.

The twins Lydia had pointed out, the ones with the handsome faces that had strutted down the hallway with blank faces, they seemed to follow Iris with their eyes. When she pulled something out of her locker, she could feel their penetrating stares on the back of her neck, could hear their steady heartbeats. They only had a few classes together but Iris could hardly focus on the learning part when a pounding headache formed in only those classes. She didn't understand why, only wanted it and them to stop.

One day, they finally came up to her. (Ambushed her)

Iris had just made it outside the library, from where she had been using her free period to sit with Lydia and Allison, when they stepped in front of her. She attempted to walk around them, but they were a never-ending brick wall and she was a feather, hopeless, useless. They stared down at her with cold, uncaring eyes. She felt her body start to shut down and her brain was screaming.

Get out!

GET OUT!

"Wha-What do you want?" Iris asked quietly. The two boys raised an eyebrow at her timidness.

"So this is Craig Sallow's daughter?" Aiden asked his brother. The mind-link they shared gave them the freedom to hear each other's thoughts.

"She doesn't, uh, live up to his image, exactly." Ethan crossed his arms, scanning the girl. She certainly looked a little like her father, having his dark green eyes and medium height but mostly gaining her mother's blond hair and sharp face. The girl watched them apprehensively, her face taking a paler edge.

"Iris Sallow," one of them said, testing out her name on his lips. Iris took a step back and they followed. Caution and worry painted her face. She had never talked to these boys before, how did they know her name?

Danger!

Iris stumbled over her next words, she couldn't form a complete sentence. Her mind went numb and she felt the darkness creep in.

Suddenly, she was back in her parent's room in Wyoming.

Gunshots ring in her ears, the smell of blood seeps into her nostrils. Feet are digging into her side, something hard is slamming into her head. Pain overwhelms her body.

Someone is screaming.

She's screaming.

Ethan and Aiden's face lit up with surprise as the girl in front of them promptly collapsed.

###

Iris's mind exploded with thoughts and memories.

Gunshots echo off the walls.

Careful hands cradling her face and soft words caressing her ears. "Are you okay?"

Why am I here?

A baby cries off in the distance, her brother.

Milk lies in a puddle on the floor.

Where is here?

Wolves howling.

People laughing.

Someone's heartbeat is pounding right in her ear, loud and persistent.

"Iris, come here. We've missed you!"

The sheets on her bed are soft as she runs her fingers over the material.

The memories slow until there's only one left.

"Iris!" A voice calls out.

She can't hear over the blood pounding in her head, the creak of the floor shrieking in her ears.

It hurts.

It hurts, is what she thinks over and over and over.

"Iris!"

She awoke to a fierce headache. Her body tensed up, only causing more pain to roll in behind her eyes. The surface beneath her bare legs was smooth and cool, bringing goosebumps to her skin. Loud voices reached her ears.

"She just... passed out," said a boy.

"Did you say something to her?" A familiar voice asked and Iris's mind whirred to recognize it. It was Lydia, waves of worry coming off her so strongly Iris could practically smell it.

"Iris Sallow, I just said her name."

Another person's accusatory voice joined the other two, "Are you sure that's all you said?" Iris could practically see Stiles's jittery movements, leg bouncing, fingers trying to find a place to rest, eyes scattering around. Her eyes snapped open as she felt something prod at her head.

"St-Stop," she managed to get out, tongue stuck to the roof of her dry mouth. Stiles quickly retracted his finger from where it had been nudging her cheek. His face was worried, eyebrows drawn in and mouth in a tight line.

Six people were crowding around her, Allison, Lydia, Stiles, Scott... and the twins. The library was empty, but they were still surrounding the desk furthest away from the door. Iris fought not to let the fear she felt take over her features. Lydia seemed to pick up on her internal battle and stepped backward saying, "Giver her room."

The others followed suit.

Iris let out a quiet, "Thanks..."

"So what happened to you?" Asked one of the twins. Iris turned to him with wide eyes, not being able to distinguish which one was which, Ethan or Aiden.

"I... I don't know." That was partially true. Iris suspected the twins had brought on some type of strong panic in her brain that caused it to simply shut down. She could feel their curious and worried stares on her.

"Do you feel okay?" Allison asked.

Iris refused to meet anyone's eyes, instead keeping a pointed gaze on her slightly shaking hands which clamped down on her skirt. "Yeah- Yeah, I'm fine."

That was a lie. She didn't feel fine. Her head felt like it was going to split open and her hands were now shaking so badly she could barely keep them under control. Her nostrils burned from the overwhelming perfumes of the teenagers around her. There were too many heartbeats pounding in her ears, she was barely able to hear.

Scott held out a hand to her, eyebrows scrunched inward. Iris hesitated to take it, but she hadn't known Scott to be an unkind person. His hands were warm from where she grasped them firmly.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Scott asked, concerned. Iris nodded then slid off the table. Her knees buckled and warm arms caught her right before she hit the floor. Stiles's brown eyes met hers and the blush that rose on her cheeks was uncalled for. Iris quickly straightened, thoroughly embarrassed.

Wincing, the school bell rang loud and sharp in her ears. The reaction didn't go unnoticed by Scott.

Iris just wanted to go home. Now that it was the end of the day, she could escape all the trouble she'd caused. Without being asked, Lydia swiftly took her arm and lead her out of the library.