Chapter 1

The house we left behind was once beautiful to me. Pale green exterior and a soft cream interior. It was cozy and perfect for our family. I thought it was my dream house. That image was ruined when my dad and baby brother were shot and killed.

"I'm glad we decided to move," I say from the comfort of the passenger seat.

Mom reaches her hand across the console and squeezes my arm lightly. "Me too."

The car suddenly putters to a stop. "Hey, what the hell?" Mom says, interrupting the silence. I take my attention off the game on my phone and look at her.

She tries turning the key, but the car doesn't start. With a sigh, she gets out. I scramble to get out of my seat and follow her.

She pokes her head back in. "Its alright, sweetie. I'm just going to be out here."

It calms my breathing but I can't help the worried looks I give her.

Mom lifts up the hood and then slams it back down. "I need to learn how to work on cars." She says as she sits down in the driver seat.

I chew on my lip and watch as she grabs her phone. I lift my eyes and see a building not too far up ahead.

"Mom, why don't we see if anybody is up there?" I point up at the building, which has its lights on.

"Well, I don't wanna leave the car here." Mom ponders it for a second. "Okay, put your coat on."

I slip the coat on and get out of the car.

The streets are silent except for the occasional scuffle in the distance. Trees sway in the light wind and street lights guide our way down the road.

There are already a few cars parked outside of the building.

We walk up to the door and Mom opens it. I cautiously lead her into the building.

"Uh, hello?" My mom calls out to the sheriff's station. There's a soft murmur of words in the back, signs of people. I stick my hands in my pockets and then take them out and then put them back in. I repeat this many times while waiting for someone to come help us.

Mom sighs and walks around the corner of the desk.

"Uh, M-mom, what are you doing?" I ask with wide eyes.

She doesn't respond, but instead sharply gasps.

"What's wrong?" I walk around to the back of the desk cautiously. I freeze. "Oh-oh," I stutter and my hand moves up to my mouth.

The woman's eyes seem to stare at me from where she lies on the floor. The blood on her uniform looks fake, but I can smell it wafting up from her body. My eyes drag down her body and see the gun missing from her holster. A strangled gasp makes its way out of my throat.

There are footsteps coming from the back. My eyes snap up and see a boy walking toward us. "Hello?" He asks. My breath catches in my throat.

He's kinda gorgeous. A buzz cut of brown hair and moles dotting his neck. Green shirt under a blue flannel with jeans. He looks like the 'boy next door' type.

My type.

Heat rushes to my face and prickles under the skin of my neck. I glance down and see the dead body again. The warmth seeps from my face.

The boy follows my gaze and his breathing becomes faster once he sees the woman.

"It wasn't us-" My mom is interrupted by the click of a gun being cocked. We all turn to look at the new boy that now has a gun wavering between us three.