itadori yuuji - i still have your sweater (p1)

a/n : trying out second pov bc i feel kind of lazy tonight. so sorry for not publishing any chapters lately :^(  mental health hasn't been the best so i hope you guys understand

im for sure going to rewrite this when im feeling more motivated but rn, have some late night writing. will definitely write a part 2

Your hands fiddle sullenly with the hem of his vibrant lemon-coloured sweater, his familiar scent wafting through your nose. If you really brought the fabric closer to your nostrils, you'd be able to smell the foul scent that clung onto the fabric from two nights ago.

You shudder and wrap the sweater around you tighter as the image of the curses flash through your mind once more. What was that even all about?

The little escapade of sneaking into the school with your senpais seemed thrilling enough, up until Sasaki unwrapped the worn out seal to reveal an abnormally large finger. You had wanted to gag, to wrap the cursed object back up and place it back to where Itadori had found it but curiosity killed the cat.

The sudden drop in temperature and the dark aura that engulfed the room the moment Sasaki scratched the seal off should've been your biggest warning. You should've listened to your gut.

"Yuuji.. help me.."

Those were the last words you had managed to utter out as your consciousness slipped away, feeling the large hands of the creature clutching onto your torso with a bone-crushing grip.

The next morning, you had woken up in the hospital, Itadori's yellow sweater placed over you.

"I should return this soon.." you thought aloud before making your way to the laundry room.

You didn't really want to return it. Ever since that night, the sweater was your only source of comfort whenever you'd wake up in a cold sweat from the creatures plaguing your nightmares.

Shaking the thought away, you place the sweater in the laundry machine and turn it on.

"Yeah, I'll return it tomorrow."

"Huh?"

Mouth agape, you found yourself trembling softly as Sasaki repeated her words, but it only fell on deaf ears as the shock overwhelmed your mind.

"I'm pretty sure he transferred to a school in Tokyo. Strange, he didn't tell you? I thought you guys were best friends."

Gripping onto the neatly folded sweater in your hands, you bite your lip to prevent the sobs that threatened to escape your throat.

He had left without saying goodbye.

Did you really not matter enough to him?

That night, you regretted washing his sweater; the warmth and scent that you had grown so familiar with was no longer there.

And so was Itadori.