Chapter 27

KREE POV

It's been a few days since Sage and I have spoken. I need her. I've seen her around school but she's been avoiding me, which I don't blame her because I was an ass. Angel's still acting weird, cutting classes, turning up to school hungover and I still don't think he's taking his pills, even after the talk we had. I just don't know how to get through to him. But first things first, I need to tackle one problem at a time. Sage is stood next to the lockers with her friends and she looks adorable as she munchies on her carrot sticks. I find myself just staring and smiling at her and wondering how the fuck I've managed to mess up. I decide to message her.

Kree:

Can we talk?

I see her dig into her pocket, grab her phone and read the message. Instead of replying, she rolls her eyes and puts the phone in her bag.

'Fuck!' I swear, making the guy next to me jump out of the way. When I look up, I see it's that fucker Finn "fishboy" Bateman. His presence still makes me angry, I wish I'd punched him back when I had the chance. The bell rings and she heads off to class, leaving me stood thinking about how I'm going to make things up to her.

***

School's done and I'm stood next to my car waiting for Sage to come out. She walks out the school doors talking to some guy. Who the fuck is this? I can't see him from this angle. When he turns and walks away from her, I realise it's fishboy again. Will he ever learn, the fucking asshat! I see she's walking to the car on her own and I hesitantly approach her. 'Sage?'

Her head snaps up in my direction. Her face falls and she shakes her head, getting into her car and driving off. What was I expecting, for her to just run into my arms? Shrugging off the disappointment, I wait for Angel to drag himself into my car and head home.

***

Getting home I contemplate texting her again. Clearly she wants me to give her space but I need to explain. Or partly explain the other day.

Kree:

Can we meet?

I know you don't want to talk to me but I feel like I need to explain

Please!

I see the three bubbles pop up for what seems like hours before she finally replies.

Sage:

JOYS - 10 mins

I drop my phone on the bed, surprised that she actually agreed to meet me.

I rush downstairs. 'Going out. Try not to fuck anything up while I'm out.' I say to Angel in passing. I swear all he does is sit on the couch, drinking beer. I'll deal with him later. Getting in my car, I speed off to JOYS, getting there in record time, to see Sage sat in a booth. I walk up to her.

'Hey.' She says.

'Hi gorgeous.' I slide in opposite her. 'How've you been?'

'I've had better days to be honest.' She replies. 'So what is it you wanted to talk about?'

'I-'

'Hi, I'm Elizabeth, your server for today. What can I get you?' This Elizabeth tries to flutter her eyelashes at me but I completely ignore her, keeping my focus on Sage.

'An Oreo milkshake to share.' I reply.

'Actually can I have my own? And some fries?' Sage asks.