We all watched with blank expressions as Eric grieved her death, saying that she deserved better; it was clear from his ramblings and behavior that Helda had been close to him.

Eric's eyes skipped to my own when Elijah disrupted him and asked about whether or not the Corozal people and Alberrechians would have truly kept their word and given me over if the situation had been different. Eric uttered a quiet 'no' in response, and I straightened, feeling water somehow trickle from the ice packet and slide down my hand.

Hannes' eyes averted to my own as I shifted on the bench, lowering the ice packet. He gestured with his head towards the exit of the prison, once again urging me to leave, but I shook my head, pressing my lips firmly together.

Our attention turned to Eric when he abruptly began to weep, spitting through tears that the Corozal community was no more, something which Hannes already suspected.

It was while we were leaving the prison that Hannes explained, based on the information he'd received from the few persons in the Corozal army who'd been captured, that some of the persons who were once in the community still lived, but there were no longer any leader or leaders, and those few who lived now were certainly not a threat to others.

The Alberrechians however, was a different story. According to Hannes, they were still powerful and many still lived. Measures were currently being established to ensure that the pack and pack members could be safe if they chose to attack once again.

I looked around us as we walked to our home. Some of the houses were badly damaged, whilst others appeared to only need a few repairs.

Hannes explained when I voiced my concern regarding where some of the pack members would have to sleep until the houses were repaired, that beds were being set up in a building nearby for those to sleep in, and the repairs would be starting the next day.

"What will become of Eric?" I asked Hannes as we made our way back to the house. Athena walked ahead of us, strides fast as she sought to get out of the cold air.

Hannes' hand tightened in my own when I mentioned Eric's name, but he responded, "His fate will be decided by the families of those he murdered in Woodsworth."

I glanced up at his face, and found him already watching me. "So, do you think he will be killed?"

Hannes' smile was brief and unhumourous as he held open the front door, allowing me to pass by him to enter the house.

"Yes," Hannes responded. "More than likely, he will be killed. Their families intend to have him murdered."

"Good." It was Athena who chirped this. I hadn't realized she was listening. She shrugged off the coat she was wearing and hung it up. Her gaze went to Hannes and myself as she said slyly, "He deserves it."

******

Later that evening, Yanneek stirred his spoon in the bowl of soup prepared by Hannes, eyes lowered to the steam that rose from it.

"I hadn't told her that," Yanneek finally spoke up after a long moment of silence. I could hear the wooden floor creaking behind us, and glanced behind me to the doorway of the dining room, spotting Henri and Jeremiah standing in it, simply observing us.

They both looked tired, and I planned to urge them to go home when Hannes returned from the kitchen.

"You hadn't?" I asked Yanneek, wanting to be certain. I had just told him about the conversation I had with Helda a few days ago, particularly regarding why he hadn't chosen to leave the Wildeland pack initially and come to Corozal.