Chapter 35

My fingers shook as I traced my lips whilst staring at my reflection in the mirror that evening. The alien feelings I'd experienced which I had been attempting to ignore I soon identified as I once again recalled Hannes kissing me.

Desire. Lust.

My fingers curled around the edge of the bathroom sink, and my head dropped to stare at my fingernails. I rubbed viciously at my ears when they began to sting, a hot flush creeping up my body as I once again brought up the image of Hannes towering over me before sealing his lips to mine. I ran my tongue across my lips. His taste still lingered.

Steam quickly began to fog up the mirror as I gripped the sink further. I could hear the shower water running loudly behind me, and heat settled over my naked body. Sweat began to trickle down my neck, but even that couldn't distract me from the longing in my chest.

Sighing in frustration, I pivoted and stepped into the shower, welcoming the blasts of hot water that rained over me. When I closed my eyes, I saw Hannes. My body shuddered as I remembered the way he'd cup my head as he'd kissed me.

Suddenly, I swore I could hear his voice. My eyes shot open, and I stared at the white tiled walls in confusion as I listened. I tilted my head when I heard his voice once more,

"Olivia!"

I cursed, hand lifting to grasp the small knob in the shower to turn off the spray of water, eyes locked on the closed bathroom door.

"Yes?" My voice was breathy as I responded to Hannes, and there was a long pause before he went on, his voice noticeably huskier than previously,

"Dinner is ready."

I swallowed, nodding my head even though he couldn't see me. "I'll be out in ten minutes."

I listened to him walk away before I turned back on the shower as I began lathering my body with soap. When I was finished showering, I left the bathroom and entered my adjoining bedroom, wrapped in a thick towel.

My choice of clothes were comfortable and created with materials to keep me warm. They were what I'd intended to sleep in.

The sound of Nicholas' voice shocked me when I reached the dining room, and I was taken aback by the sight of all the Elders and himself seated. My eyes ran down my clothes, at the dark blue pajama shorts and long-sleeved shirt and I sighed in exasperation. I hadn't been expecting anyone other than Hannes and maybe Athena to be in the dining room.

"We were waiting for you." Bronwyn snapped as I walked inside. My eyes twitched as I fought glaring at the woman's snarky attitude, and instead I gave my apologies. Hannes was also inside of the dining room, and when I began to circle the table, deciding to sit on the opposite side of where him and the Elders were, he stood and pulled back a chair.

"Do sit beside me, Olivia." Hannes' eyes flashed with mischief, and I gave him a baffled look.

Athena looked between us curiously when I reluctantly chose to sit by his side. Almost immediately, my skin began to feel hot as Hannes sat as well.

Concentrating was difficult as it was since my dratted mind kept going back to the kiss in the woods, but that concentration shattered almost completely when I felt Hannes place a large hand on my thigh discreetly, not moving it, but simply keeping it there.

My eyes lifted to his face, and the fork which I'd been toying with lowered to rest noisily on my plate. Hannes did not look at me and he appeared to be listening to Helmitch speak about something regarding the pack, but I saw the smallest hint of a grin on Hannes' lips before my attention was pulled to Athena, who sat beside Nicholas.