Chapter 60

My fingers curled around my elderly neighbor's shaking ones, and our heads and bodies kept low as we travelled through a vast, thick field. Beth's breathing was becoming louder and louder with each staggering step she took, and my concern shot high when she slowed to a stop, making me halt as well.

I could feel hot blood trickling down the back of my head, where I'd been punched and kicked by a lycan after she'd managed to capture me for a few minutes. I could still taste the female's hand in my mouth; I'd bitten her as I'd attempted to escape.

My father had fought and successfully killed her, and my parents, several neighbors and myself had immediately raced away from the town that was being invaded by lycans.

But now, we were being hunted.

My mother and father, and three other humans who'd travelled with us paused when Beth and I did. Frustration flashed in my mother's eyes, but softened as she saw the way Beth desperately inhaled.

I released her fingers to rub at her back, my eyes burning with unshed tears as she swayed on her feet. Sweat trickled down her forehead, and tears streamed down her wrinkled face.

My skin prickled with awareness; the lycans were nearing, and with each passing second, they were moving closer to us.

"I won't make it." Beth finally heaved out. Her fingers shook as she rubbed at her forehead, wiping away her sweat. Her dress was damp with her perspiration as well, and she continued to sway on her feet.

My father stalked forward, brushing by me to stand by her side. "Come on, Bethy. You just need to-"

"No!" Her voice cracked in the air, and I flinched at the heart wrenching sound.

Dismay was written across her face, and she used the handkerchief offered to her by one of my neighbors to wipe at her sweaty neck. Beth's lips trembled, and her head raised as she stared right into my father's eyes. "I can't go any further."

Tears trickled down my cheeks, and I felt my mother's presence behind me as she said, "I can help you. We can help you."

"I will slow you all down," Beth croaked. "You all need to leave. The lycans are coming. I will try to distract them, and you all will run."

"Beth," Desmond, my neighbor shook his head, despaired. "We can't do that to-"

A howl pierced the air, and I swallowed thickly, pressing back into my mother, who placed a hand against my shoulder and squeezed.

"Leave." Beth spoke through clenched teeth. Her eyes darted between us all. "Now! You can not convince me to go any further. I am too old and too weak. Please, just go."

Her words were firm, and her eyes shone with determination; she truly would not be convinced. I felt my stomach drop and rubbed at my tears with the back of my hand.

"Your child is bleeding, Oliver. You need to get her to safety." Beth pleaded with my father. "Just go, please."

My mother's fingers intertwined with my own. "I'm sorry, Beth." Her voice was low, and the rest of those around us were beginning to back away. My father adjusted the hat on his head, stepped forward to hug the woman tightly, before turning and following the others.