Chapter 44

So after some thinking, and reading of comments, I've decided to come back and write on Wattpad. There were things regarding the breach that I didn't know beforehand, and I'm thankful to be explained of it. This book is still completed on Inkitt, and I will continue to write on there as well, but I will also continue updating here. Thanks to those who supported me throughout the time I took to make a decision.

This chapter has a lot of information but I think it's important for the story and what had happened in the past. I hope it's understandable, but if there are some aspects that you don't understand, feel free to leave a comment and I'll edit or explain when I can. Thanks for reading. 💕

***********************

I was pushing around a piece of what Hannes called 'french toast' on a plate, half-listening to the sounds of Hannes lifting and resting down a glass of water every now and then as he drank from it.

My stomach was full of the hearty breakfast he'd made us, and just as I'd almost finished it, my mind had begun to drift to what I had read in the newspaper.

Suddenly, the noises from Hannes' movements stopped, and when I dragged my gaze from my plate, I saw that he had settled down his glass, and was watching me and appearing to be...waiting. I straightened in the chair, body shuddering when the back of my shoulders grazed the cold furniture.

"Have you heard about what happened in the North?" I asked, wiping my hands against a napkin, and then scrunching it up as Hannes nodded.

"A pack demanded that the people of JillenTown leave, yes?"

"They forced them. Not demanded," I corrected quickly, and then questioned. "Have any lycans said anything against what they did? Have any lycans ever tried to step in and explain to those who have been ruthlessly driving out humans from villages and towns that what they have been doing for many years is wrong?"

Hannes' eyebrows furrowed as he noticed the bite in my voice, and I inhaled deeply, deciding to focus my gaze on the scrunched napkin in my hand as I muttered, "Just curious is all."

"There are steps that some alphas and myself do to dissuade packs from going to further towns and repeating their actions," Hannes finally said. My eyes lifted to his face as he carried on explaining, his expression giving little away of what he thought, "Discussions are held twice a month with packs, particularly with those who have forced humans out of their homes and we believe may have intentions of going to other towns and doing so again. However, in the cases with the lycans who have imprisoned humans who fought against what was happening in the towns, Riggs and myself often see it necessary that we step in and do what we can to set them free. It is not a quick process, and lengthy conversations are held beforehand with the alphas and lunas of the packs."

"Regarding the lycans who have murdered humans throughout their quest to gain territory or control of villages or towns, it is difficult for Riggs and I to try and convince the lycans that what they did was wrong. They are blinded with their need for power and control, and care little for the lives of humans." Hannes rubbed a hand against his jaw and eyed me.

"Riggs and I, along with several other alphas, including Nicholas, have considered battling them on behalf or with the humans. However, the majority of said humans who managed to leave the towns safely, dislike the mere thought of our assistance, and would rather not cooperate."  

He shrugged a broad shoulder. "The majority of those humans have also vehemently voiced their disgust of us lycans simply because of who we are, and trying to convince lycans to fight for persons who speak of us in such a repulsive manner would be difficult. Nonetheless, a few packs have offered the humans to live with them temporarily, but many refuse."