Chapter | Forty-eight

Start from the beginning

But beyond any animosities that Lucas might have towards someone, honor has always reigned over his acts, and hating me or not, I know and he knows we make the best team.

We have to move in the same split of a second, or we'll have no chance. And then our moment comes, we both grab our guns at the same time after silently agreeing with a look in our eyes.

Suddenly I feel mercy for Camilla, so I decide to use her only by the time I have my gun out, then I throw her aside somewhere on the floor.

My gun and Lucas' come out simultaneously, me turning around towards the two, moving one step aside to open the way for Lucas to aim at Mario while my gun aims at Valeria.

Massimo pulls his own gun with one hand and the other reaches under the sofa where he crouched behind, grabbing hidden weapons and throwing them at his two men standing at the door.

Camilla crawls behind the sofa next to Massimo while my gun unloads right into Valeria's chest, Lucas' gun unloads towards Mario, both of us shooting in perfect sync, Massimo targeting the side where Mario's men are standing, killing one of them.

The other two are taken down by Massimo's men while the only bullets I hear close to me are mine and Lucas', at the same time with a third bullet which I don't know where it has come from.

I clearly see Mario and Valeria taken down, each one with its own bullet hole between their eyes, but I'm still concerned about the third one. Who got it? Where the fuck did it come from?

The whole act takes a few seconds, as I'm still standing in the middle, my arm frozen and stretched out holding my gun, making sure there is no threat anymore, and while breathing heavily, assessing the room and making sure all targets have been taken down, I feel a pricking pain in my shoulder and the skin burning on my left side of the body.

It burns like fuck! I know it's a bullet wound, and only now do I feel the sharp pain cutting my breath, sweat forming on my forehead but still holding myself up, standing.

I'm standing alright. It can't be that bad.

I feel lightheaded while I turn my head and see Lucas and Massimo standing as well, unhurt.

It's good, we're all good.

"Fuck!" I mumble and look down to see my left palm covered in my own blood.

I lift my head and meet Lucas' eyes, widening and taking a huge step towards me as I'm crashing on the ground, the entire room spinning around like I'm in a fucking whirlpool.

The pain becomes unbearable. I can never get used to this no matter how many bullets my body takes.

I see Lucas hovering above me, tearing off the fabric of my very fucking expensive Italian suit which Eve likes so much.

He's fervently searching for my wound and presses his hand once he finds it, to stop the bleeding.

"Fucking shit, Lucas!" I yell in pain, and he presses even harder.

"Enzo, it's just a flesh wound. Just flesh wound. You'll be fine. Nothing serious, you'll be fine," I hear him saying while Massimo calls a doctor, talking in Italian and rushing him up, but I don't know why I can't believe Lucas' words. His face is way too cringed and his eyes avoid mine.

I've lost contact with the world around me for a moment. Or I fucking hope it has been a moment because Eve is waiting for me to get back to her. I've told her it won't take long.

There's a sweet orange smell I feel around me. It smells of Eve, but she can't be here. I really hope Lucas isn't crazy enough to bring her here. She still needs a few days in the hospital.