Chapter | Twenty-eight

Being in the same room with mom and Enzo was the last thing I wanted, but I couldn't refuse my dad's invitation to dinner

He is my hero, my best friend, my protector, and my model of husband material. Everything in my life has to at least match my father. We've always had a special bond.

The moment I feel Enzo's scent once I've entered dad's office I know just how easily I can give in. The room becomes void in a second, time freezes and my breathing slows down as if my lungs stop working.

And when our eyes meet, I scream in my head "I love you" tenths of times, the only words my brain seems to recognize at this point.

It's a feeling like no other. It feels like I've never loved before as if Enzo is the man I've been always waiting for to come into my life and grow me into the woman I am today.

But the little bun I'm baking in my womb needs me sane, strong, and the only way I can be that is to distance myself from the thing mom and Enzo once have had and learn how to put that behind me, hoping that Enzo will understand my need of time for myself.

I can't tell him about the baby just yet, he'll never let me go if I do.

And it's not like I'm going to disappear from their lives. Aunt Feli has already agreed that I live with her for a while. Until I find a place of my own.

Opening my own restaurant has been a wish born in my mind as a child, since my vacation in Napoli. The time I've spent there has a very strong word to say in my decision.

The work of the chefs in the kitchen, the mix of flavors, the fine-dining dishes, and the pleased look on the customers' faces when tasting the food were fascinating to me.

I used to stare at them hidden behind the kitchen doors in Enzo's restaurant, gauging at people outside the kitchen, observing each gesture on their faces. That vacation has surely given me the right push to what I've always known I want to do later in my life, owning a restaurant.

And above all, I remember Enzo cooking. Oh, I used to believe he was a sorcerer at that time, fascinating me with all sorts of small jokes and magic tricks while jumping around him asking to show me how he was doing all that.

I can't wait for it! I can't wait to do something on my own. I know I'm going to find myself in this adventure. I know I'm going to find my peace and I want to feed my baby from that peace. Our baby...

What I didn't expect though was dad agreeing with it. Quite easily, I said to myself before he stood up and exited the dining room, leaving me alone with mom and Enzo.

I don't hate them. I could never. I just don't know how to process all of these, and I'm not ready yet.

I leave mom and Enzo in the dining room after bidding some quick byes, walking out with the clear intention to find dad. He can only be in his office.