Chapter | Twenty-nine

My breathing stumbles right in my chest with his words still resounding like huge bells in my ears, but somehow I've always known he won't just ask that I don't leave

He loosens the iron grip on my arms and turns around, leaving me frozen in my spot and void of his touches, and then I hear his belt buckle, putting on his pants and the door slams shut behind him.

"You know Don Enzo won't just stop at only asking you not to leave," Jason told me ten minutes before Enzo appeared at my door this evening.

"I'll call dad if it's necessary," I replied.

"He's the Don," he emphasized, shaking his head, discouraged.

"He's a Don in Italy, not here, Jason!" I snapped at him pissed on him for being right.

"Exactly! He's a Don right in the place where you think you can hide. But I don't think you're actually hiding from him, Eve," he said, implying I had a different agenda and his stare was searching for it deep into my eyes.

"I'm not hiding from him, Jason. I'm hiding from both of them. It's slightly different," I mumbled, not very confident in what I was saying.

"Eve, you're being caught between two rock-hard, possessive men, you know that, right? One is giving up because he's a father and he can't refuse you anything and the other one..." he sighed, not knowing what to say or not daring to say it. I couldn't tell which one it was.

I raised my eyes to him and met the struggle of his thoughts and the need to tell me what I already knew.

I'll have to run away.

"I'll have everything prepared. Get ready," he continued after a few moments of silence, his eyes glued to mine making sure his message is clearly understood.

"We'll get through this, don't worry," he encourages me probably seeing doubt or fear in my eyes, and walks out into the living room after planting a kiss on my temple.

I stay rooted in my spot for a few long moments after Enzo has left, allowing my tears to roll down my cheeks, still feeling the grip of his hands on my arms, and I'm thankful he has left when I've asked.

I can never let him see me crumbling, shattered, and a crying mess.

My phone's ringtone pulls me out of my thoughts, and I grab it from the stand next to the bed, pressing the green button.

"Yes, Jason," I say trying to keep my voice steady.

"I can see I've been right, Eve. You have two new pieces of furniture at your door," he says cockily, and I understand Enzo has kept his word.

"I know. He said he would..." I whisper back, convinced that my plans have just been canceled.

"Either way, get ready. We leave tomorrow morning," Jason informs me and I inhale sharply air through my parted lips, the hope of escaping from here blooming again in my heart.