20. Announcements

When Zeelandia had settled to her anchor, and the longboat crews had returned aboard, Charles ordered the bell rung to call all hands on deck. Then with them assembled in the ship's waist below him, he said, "I have much to tell you, and I would have done so earlier, but there were too many ears, both aboard and on the wharf. Now that we are beyond being heard by others, it is safe to announce."

He pointed toward the ship lying to her anchor just beyond Gallows Point. "Captain Cavendish and the other released prisoners are now all aboard Santiago, and they have begun repairing her. We have a repairing venture of our own, as well as changes to our plans. But before I tell you about these, I wish to satisfy your curiosity about the auction."

After a pause for the murmur to quiet, he continued, "Our gain was more than six thousand and seven hundred pounds."

Loud cheers erupted, and they continued a long while. As they subsided, Charles spoke above them, "But the sale included half of the lots destined for Virginia. There has been horrible violence there. The city of Jamestown has been lit afire and destroyed, and the fighting expanded through the province. Information from the last ship to arrive from the colony tells that the fighting continues still."

He spoke louder to be heard above the new hubbub. "We are well-advised to not call there, and this is why we sold half the Virginia lots here. But with our swift passage from England and both of our auctions so soon over, were we to sail to New York now, we would arrive mid-winter to deep snow and bitter cold."

I watched, amused as many appeared to shiver, then Charles continued, "So instead, we will sail to the pirates' haven and repair two of the ships which lie there. I am told they are already well begun, so our goal is to bring them to a condition that we may tow them here to sell, gaining more money as we await warmer weather in the north."

He raised a hand to quiet the crew. "You will recall how pleasant that place appeared from aboard. But I have learnt that it is even better ashore, with a broad stream of fresh water flowing from the hills. Along the strand is an abundance of clams and oysters, and lobsters and crabs crawl in large numbers among the reefs. Our weeks of lying to anchor there will be most enjoyable."

I delighted in watching as members of the crew gradually realised the meaning of this. A few at first, then quickly most of them, and as they did, the cheering grew.

"And there is more," Charles called in a loud voice. "Much more." When the cheering had subsided, he said, "Aboard Santiago, we found the bags of coins and cobs, which would have been from their recent sale here. Also, hidden in the haven are the proceeds from their more than two years of capturing ships and selling the booty."

This quieted the crew, so he continued in a normal voice. "But we must assure we are not followed, particularly now that many know the great success of our auction. Their knowing the wealth we have aboard makes us vulnerable to attack. We shall slip away during the morrow's revelry when all others are preoccupied or befuddled or both."

A voice called amid the hoots and other sounds of disappointment, "Ain't it blasphemy ta miss the celebratin' of Christmas, Sir?"

"Ah, but we will not miss it. It is already Christmas Day in England, so this evening aboard, we shall celebrate with them." Charles pointed toward the mainmast base. We have here all the drink you may wish, rumbullion, ale and wine, and the cookery has roasted joints of beef, mutton and pork for supper. Party well tonight, and to-morrow we sail."

From forward, a loud voice called, "Have you brung women aboard for us, Sir? Aside from hangings, that's all what's missing."

Loud laughter came from many, then Charles replied, "Would that it were safe, but Doctor Stevens learnt at the infirmary that one in three of the harlots in Port Royal is infected. For any who value their future, it is high folly to take a chance such as this."

In the silence which ensued, he said, "As you party tonight, think of what lies before you. Each of you has now earned a large share, one sufficient to establish yourself and to move toward independence. And there is more coming with the proceeds from the picaroons' haven and then from our auction in New York. Keep in mind the freedom and ease this will bring."

Charles paused to allow the impact of his words to settle before he said, "Party wisely. I expect all to be sober and fit to sail us off the anchor when those ashore are distracted by the hangings."

Then he turned to Mister Cogswell. "Recover the longboats and secure them for sea, that we are ready to slip quietly away on the morrow's breeze."

"Aye, Sir. Longboats aboard and lashed."

"Fine, then. I shall be below if needed."

Olivia and I followed Charles down into the great cabin, and when we arrived, I asked, "Will many drink to excess?"

"Some seem to have no control, and they drink themselves into a stupor. But I expect most will do it for a slight titillation and to loosen their minds and their tongues."

"As I feel from the ale at breakfast and the wine at supper."

"A little more than that. Possibly as you had felt after drinking the brandy from the willow bark jar."

I giggled at the memory. "Ruth had said to sip a little with each piece, but I should have thought before drinking all of once those I had missed."

"Aye, befuddling comes from drinking a large quantity in short order. Enjoyment comes from slowly savouring the flavours and the relaxation which soothes both mind and body."

"Might we have the Hot Brian with this evening's supper? I have a developed great fondness for it."

"Precisely as was on my mind, Camille. We also must celebrate."

While I nodded, Olivia spoke, "Pardon, m'Lady. Does you need me for anything afore I serve supper?"

"Oh, dear. I am forgetting myself here, Olivia. I should have told you may relax until then."

"Thank you, m'Lady. I'll be out the door practising my letters with Richard, if you need me."