35. Of Victualling

Tuesday, 29th December 1676

While Charles and I breakfasted on Tuesday morning, he said, "At two bells, Mister Jenkins and several of the senior crew will accompany me ashore."

I paused my fork short of my mouth and looked at him. "Aha! To search for the journal and their booty hide."

"Yes, those and to examine the hulks to assess what work is needed. Also, I want to see what provisions they had stowed and to determine what else might be of use to us."

"Provisions, of course. To feed both themselves and their captives."

Charles nodded. "When we found only fresh produce in the holds of Santiago – no barrels of salted meat, biskits, meal or pease, nor casks of ale or wine, we suspected there is a good stock of those here from the captured ships."

"Of what quality? Can we trust it?"

"Cookery Mate will accompany us to determine this. It might be from English, French, Spanish, Dutch, even Portuguese ships, so we expect a broad range of quality."

"How would we know its age? Might some have spoilt?"

"English barrels are marked with both their contents and the date they were filled, and I have seen that the Spanish do this, as well. The others probably follow a similar practice."

"Might we sell it in Port Royal?"

"This was my thought. Most of it will be well below the quality we stow."

"Oh! Why do you think this?"

"For this voyage, I purchased from the same Portsmouth victualler who supplies the senior officers of the Royal Navy. Very different quality to what most sailors are fed." Charles sliced a piece of ham and examined it. "This is smoked and lightly-brined lean meat from the hanches."

He placed the small piece in his mouth, and when he had savoured and swallowed it, he continued. "The ham in most barrels is made with fat-streaked and heavily-salted cuts from the belly, and it is often more fat than meat. It requires prolonged soaking to make it palatable, and the salted beef and mutton are of similar nature."

He sliced another piece and lifted it on his fork. "While we ate from such barrels, Captain Angus had stowed a selection of small casks of this quality for Mate to prepare for him."

"Oh, my! A different quality for him than for the crew."

"Indeed, and he told me this is the way it is done in the Navy." Charles shrugged. "He explained that he paid for it, and it was not part of the ship's victualling costs. I learnt this as we voyaged from New York to England, sharing meals with him while we negotiated my purchase of Zeelandia."

I nodded toward the pantry. "And likely the same with the wine."

"Aye, he purchased that separately, as well."

"But you do not..." I paused to recall what I had seen in the cookery these many weeks. "The food for our pannier is the same as that which is served to the crew. They also enjoy this quality."

"Yes, they do. After I had purchased Zeelandia, I invited the officers and mates to join me here for a grand celebratory dinner. I bade Cookery Mate use the special casks to prepare it for us, and while we dined, I asked my guests if they would enjoy this quality for all meals."

I snorted, covering my mouth in embarrassment. "Who would not? Not when compared to what they were being fed below."

"Aye, but at what price? Our discussion turned to examining the cost of doing this, and that evening, I pored over the bills of lading to find the different costs. The following day, I sat with Cookery Mate to assist me in determining the additional expense. During the –"

"Your incessant meticulousness. It continues to amaze me."

Charles shrugged. "Necessary for decisions which involve many. I invited small groups from the crew to join me in similar meals during the following days, and none had concern with the additional expense. When finally I addressed the ship's company about proceeding with this on our next voyage, to a man, they agreed."

I nodded. "And what cost is there to each?"

"Tuppence ha'penny a day, a little above twenty-five shillings for our four-month voyage to New York."

"Oh, my! So little."

"Indeed, to us. And because of the share the crew had gained to that point, and what they saw forthcoming, also well-affordable to them. But for many labourers back in England, it amounts to half a year's wage – or more."

"Yes, of course. A matter of one's means."

<><><>

After Charles had left, Olivia and I sat by the windows, stitching, our only intercourse being my questions on method and her monstrations and instructions. From time to time through this pleasant while, my mind revisited the quality of our food and what Charles had said about victualling. Then curious, I asked, "Do you enjoy the meals aboard, Olivia?"

"Oh, yes, m'Lady. I ain't never afore ate so good. Titus told me it useta be as bad as ta home, but I dint know that was bad 'til I came ta Zeelandia. He said when Captain bought the ship, he made it better, jest like – just like what it useta be for only the old captain."

"Had he mentioned rancour among the crew about only the captain enjoying this?"

"Rancour, m'Lady?"

"Resentment, dudgeon, an attitude stronger than dislike. A sense of being poorly treated."

Olivia shrugged and shook her head. "Alls he said is that Mate learned him how ta do the special meals." She snickered. "And he always sampled ta make sure it was done right." She slapped a hand to her mouth and blushed. Then speaking through her fingers, she continued, "But I ain't sposed ta tell that."

"I would think it necessary to taste. I often sat in the kitchen, watching our cook, and she frequently tasted – offered me tastes, as well." I licked my lips at the memory.

"You had a cook ta home?"

"We did. We had a full household staff."

"What's a full staff?"

"Besides the cook and Mother's lady's maid, we had a tutor, a housemaid, a chambermaid and a butler inside – when we were younger, we also had a nursery maid and a second tutor. Then outside, were the groom, the groundskeeper, the gamekeeper and their workers."

"Oh!" She looked up from her stitching. "Why so many?"

"When I realised how unusual this was, I asked a tutor to explain. She said it serves two purposes; the one is to make our lives easier, and the other is to give paid employment, meals and housing to our staff."

"Like you're doing with me. Like you said you'd do in New York."

"Indeed, and if Titus wishes to work for us there as our cook, we would welcome that."

"Oh, he does. When I told him how good you treat me, he said he wants ta work for you too."

"Excellent! I shall tell Cookery Mate to teach him all the skills that might be necessary."