3. Olivia

I removed the cover from the ticking in my former quarters and placed it and the sheet in the laundry basket. Then I gathered my belongings plus the extra pieces of cotton and linen and carried them to our night cabin, opening the closet doors and pulling out the drawers to see where I might place them. So much unused space, and I have so little. Must be fine clothiers and tailors in Port Royal. Surely, to supply all the wealthy there. Begin to assemble a proper wardrobe. And one for Olivia, as well. She must have as little as do I.

While I stowed, my mind wandered to the young lad in the servery. The one who always smiled and blushed when I caught him staring at me. That must be her. Attracted, thinking of me as a young man, just as had been the maidens in the hostelry. And young Alice in the millinery. A normal response, I would think... My thoughts were interrupted by a knock, and I strode across to the door, opening it to Titus and one whom I assumed was Olivia.

"This here be my sister, Ma'am. Olivia."

"Oh, yes. I recognise you from the cookery. The boy with the beautiful face and lovely smile." I watched, amused as her cheeks redden. "Please, do come in."

"Me too, Ma'am?"

"Yes, certainly, Titus. You need to be assured your sister will be safe and comfortable here."

I led them in and opened the door to the closet. "This is where you will relax and sleep, Olivia."

After examining the small space, she turned, contorting her face. "There ain't no hooks in here, Ma'am. Where do I tie my hammock?"

"You will find it very comfortable sleeping on this shelf; the ticking is rather thick and soft." I pressed down on it to show her. "But we could have a bosun add a means to sling your hammock, if you wish."

She sat on the shelf and moved about. "Ooh! I like this, 'tis like a couch. Can I lay me down to try it?"

"Yes, certainly, you may. There is a ticking cover and a cotton sheet, but they must be laundered. I can show you how that is done; and with the sun now out, they will be fast to dry."

She appeared satisfied, so I led her to the next door and opened it. "This is the privy closet, and I will instruct you in its use after Titus leaves."

"In there, not out at the heads?" Olivia clapped a hand to her mouth. "So embarrassing up there. All the men with 'em out to piss. The bigger ones been wagged and whipped about, like they was boasting." Her face reddened. "God's truth, Titus. Hard to not gawp at 'em."

"I seen that, Liv." He shrugged. "But what could we do?"

"The privacy you need is here, Olivia." I pointed to the water buckets and the bidet. "As well as the ease of remaining clean."

She nodded in apparent understanding, so I closed the door and led her further along, opening the panels to expose the copper-lined bath. "I am certain you need to bathe after all these weeks."

"Oh, I do awful bad, Ma'am. Real awful bad."

"Then we shall do that with the laundering." I turned to her brother. "But to other matters. Titus, you will bring the food pannier for each meal and leave it in the pantry for Steward to serve."

"Yes, Ma'am. What times for doin' that?"

"It changes according to what is happening, but Cookery Mate will always prepare it and inform you when it needs bringing."

"Yes, Ma'am. Will that be all, Ma'am?" Titus pointed toward the door. "I'm thinkin' you and Liv have private stuff, now."

When Titus had left, I said to Olivia, "What a fine brother you have. He offers you not only protection, but also concern and respect."

"Oh he is and he does. We do that for each other 'cause we's all what's left."

"How do you mean?"

"All the rest is dead. Twas my turn to be over to the market for a soup bone and pease, and I come back to the house all afire. Nothing I could do." Olivia paused as her lip trembled. "Mama, Dada and all of 'em was burnt with it. All 'cept me and Titus. And Titus was gone at sea."

I spread my arms. "Would you allow me to hug you?"

She nodded and stepped into my embrace, shuddering with sobs as I enfolded her.

I remained silent, allowing her to release. When her sobs subsided, she continued, "The widow along the road took me in as her charwoman and for sending me out begging. Near starved me, she did, but I had a roof and a bed."

"When was this?"

Olivia snivelled. "End a the summer, not long afore harvest. Every day, I went begging along the wharf, hoping to see this here ship return with Titus. I 'member he told Dada he'd be back afore harvest is done, so he can help."

"So, he was a farmer?"

"We all was. We worked the laird's land for a share a the crop."

I nodded, wondering whether they had been one of the families working our land. Broach that later. Other matters now. "How did you end up aboard Zeelandia?"

"When Titus came back, he talked about a better life for us in Virginia. But passage cost fifteen pounds, and he had not quite that much."

"So, he secreted you aboard."

"He did. We thought two or three months with me hiding here was better than been dentured for the passage."

"Dentured?" I tilted my head. What mean you by this?"

"Marking a paper with a ship captain to sell myself for five years work in Virginia. Them years to pay for been brung there."

Remembering what Father had told me about drawing and selling indentures, I said, "Yes, a wiser choice. I have heard that it is little better than being a slave." I loosened the hug and rubbed her back. "But to present matters. You are safe here, and we will land you free in Virginia."

I felt her relax in my arms and snuggle closer, her head nodding as she sighed. Then she tensed and asked, "But how will I pay you for this?"

"By assisting me with some of the duties of the captain's cabin boy and by learning how to be a lady's maid."

"A lady's maid? What I for ever dream of doing. Always played at been one for my sisters." Olivia breathed a deep sigh. "But they's gone ta Heaven and they's got angels caring for 'em, so I needn'a worry." She looked up into my eyes. "I can turn to caring for you, now."