what's the saying?

Hook line and sinker story (lws):

"I need you to talk me out of something." She sighed. Ben was the only one who had answered the phone out of everyone she'd called. Not that she'd called many people, but-

"I'm on it, what is it?'' Ben took another swig of his beer before letting his eyes wander to his best friend over the counter who was sulking in the beanbag. Lucas was in a shit mood because Theo was mad at him. More so, that's what he was convinced was happening at the moment.

It wasn't quite the complete opposite, either. she was just avoiding him because she didn't know how she felt about him at the moment. And whenever she didn't know how to feel she usually went into hiding. And she obviously didn't bother to explain herself.

Also, Lucas just refused to text her first. It didn't matter that he'd started to twice already.

"Tell me not to message my ex." Ben choked on his beer, quick to lean over the sink to catch any drips. He made a beeline for the bathroom, knowing this was a conversation that Lucas could not hear under any circumstance.

"Ricky?" Ben's voice echoed off the hallway and Lucas perked up. Why was Ben leaving and why was he talking about a Ricky? Theo's Ricky?

The girl nodded, forgetting that he couldn't see her. "Why do I need to talk you out of doing that, you know full well that's the worst idea ever." he could hear her pacing.

"I know, I'm just... I've been thinking about him lately, that's all." she blew out a breath. Ben closed the bathroom door only to lean up against it. She really was a terrible liar.

"mm, yeah. I think that's absolute bullshit and you're trying to distract yourself from the fact that you're lovesick over Lucas."

"benjamin!" she screeched, cheeks already pink. So what if that wasn't a complete lie?

"Don't message that bastard. Talk to Lucas, he thinks you're mad at him."

"of course he does," she muttered, tucking hair out of her face and behind her ear.

"Oh, so you're not mad at him?"

"I'm avoiding him, isn't it obvious?"

"distance makes the heart grow fonder." she rolled her eyes.

"That's not the saying."

"it's not? What's the saying?" Ben knew what the saying was. His mother used to say it all the time when his dad went on long business trips.

"It's absence makes the heart grow fonder."

"that just makes more sense in this situation." He said in his best duh voice.

"UGH!" she groaned loudly while Ben tried not to laugh too hard.