no chocolate sauce

OBX storyline:

She makes too much breakfast and JJ follows his nose over to their house, tripping onto the porch. Jake investigates only to find the boy inches from knocking over one of Sophie's favorite plants. She wanders over with a bowl of batter under her arm.

"Morning," JJ does a mini salute, cheeks pink as he fumbles into an upright position. His blond hair is a mess, eyes tired from not sleeping through the night. There are faded bruises under his eye, cuts littering his cheekbones. Jake, without looking away from the boy, leans towards his sister to whisper:

"Sophie, he looks hungry." As if on cue, JJ's stomach growled, his cheeks now crimson. The girl smiles, nodding in agreement.

"Wanna join us? I made too many pancakes." Her eyes widen and she glanced  over her shoulder, remembering them in the pan. "Fucking pancakes." She hurries back inside to flip them.

"That's $3 in the ice cream jar!" Jake shouts, turning back to JJ. "You live next door and your daddy is mean just like mine."

The older boy's mouth fell open. It wasn't a lie.

JJ finally stood up, towering over the 6-year-old who took his hand, leading him inside towards the kitchen where his sister was busy fanning at the stove and muttering to herself.

"Grab him a plate, yeah?" Sophie was rinsing the pan out in the sink, the smell of burnt pancake lingering.

"Where's the chocolate sauce?" she blew out a breath, hands settling on her hips as she faced the counter where both boys had taken a seat. Jake was in his booster seat, still not able to reach the top of the counter. He'd stuffed a few pillows in.

"jake, we talked about this." the little boy crossed his arms over his chest, "na uh, no pouting. chocolate sauce does not belong on pancakes and you know it. Why do you think i had you take out all the other things?" He pouted regardless and even started pulling on JJ's sleeve.

Both boys eat at least 3-4 pancakes (jj sneaks like 4 more too) while Sophie is good with maybe 1.5? She also eats them slower.

"What are you doing the rest of the day?" Jj finds himself asking as Sophie hands him another dish to dry. She tilts her head in thought before shrugging.

"Nothin' much. What are you doing?"

"Thinking of goin' fishin', is all" Jake made a sound of excitement from the counter. She raised a brow at the blond who nodded, taking another dish from her.

"Can we come too?!" Jake had swallowed his last piece of pancake and was now bouncing in his seat.