15// day trip

Parker

So I'm pretty sure it's thursday today, though I can no longer rely on my own sense of time as every single day of this week has been mushed together in my brain. I can't remember anything that happened more than ten minutes ago. Andy probably gave me brain damage or something. On the bright side though, Grant was too exhausted to ever get me back.

I roll over on my wrinkled sheets, clicking my phone on to see its nine o'clock in the morning. Still early, but later than usual which means somebody turned off my alarm clock at eight. Sighing, I trudge over to my dresser and grab a faded green t-shirt to put on. I simply don't care enough to brush my hair or wash my face, and head downstairs to the kitchen.

At the counter, dad stands making coffee, already dressed up in a dark grey suit heading out to work. Andy stands behind him, waiting for the leftovers, and Landon and Grant sit at the island eating oatmeal.

"Late start today, Park?" Dad questions, sipping from his red travel mug, compliments of last christmas. "Oh, uh, yeah. Forgot to set my alarm I think." I lie through my teeth, examining all of my brothers expressions closely to see who looks guilty. Andy has a suspiciously amused look on his face.

Dad sets his mug on the counter, popping on the plastic lid and grabbing his bag. "Well, I'm headed out. I expect the good behavior to continue while I'm gone. Finish your chores tonight, please." Let me just start off by saying the good behavior has not been continuing. He just hasn't caught on to anybody yet.

"Will do, sir." Andy tells him with a clenched jaw, emptying the last droplets of coffee from the pot into a blue thermal cup. Grant nods in agreement, standing to lock the front door behind dad. "Bye, dad." I reply bluntly, not thrilled by this morning in any sense of the word.

The front door closes and I watch dad climb inside his car, leaving the winding driveway in a hurry. Andy flicks my forehead when I pass him to grab a bowl from the cabinet, smirking while he takes a sip from his mug. I have no energy to react, spooning oatmeal into my bowl. The angry silence is broken between us all as the voice of Grant fills the room.

"Landon, are you mute or something?" He asks with a sly smile, walking back from the front hall. He's referring to the silent treatment Landon's been icing us all out with these past few days. We all look to him while he sits speechless at the counter, one earbud in and the other dangling down his white shirt. It's looking like he's still ignoring us.

"Hey, freak. Are you listening to me?" Grant scowls, having wandered all the way to the counter top in front of him so they're face to face. Landon rolls his bright eyes, pulling out his headphones aggressively.

"No, I wasn't listening. Cause frankly, I could care less about what you have to say." He scoffs without missing a beat. "Oh, so it speaks!" Andy shouts with severe sarcasm, throwing up his arms in fake excitement. "Did you want something, or..?" Landon questions, holding his stern gaze upon Grants hardened face. "Actually, yes." He remarks, pushing himself off the marble countertops, spinning back to the fridge. "Dad said we could go to the mall today if everybody's down. Parker, you don't have a social life, so I know you're free. Landon? Andy?"

I roll my eyes, crossing my notably tanned arms, awaiting my other brother's responses. I never burn in the summer, just get darker and darker. "Go to the mall for what? Did he give you his card?" Andy questions, sipping from his coffee similarly to dad, but slower like he's afraid to burn his tongue. "School clothes for this year." Grant grins wide, "And yes, he did give me his card."

"I'll be ready in ten." Landon states matter of factly, standing from his wooden stool and heading to his room. "Ok, out the door in fifteen. I'm driving." Andy says loudly, but not in a threatening way like usual.