Chapter Eight: Rosie

I hurriedly buttoned the last button on my shirt as the seconds counted down. Rosé would be here any minute and I had to look at least sort of put together. I had decided to wear a button-down and jeans, hoping that it was the right amount of dressy and casual. But maybe it was too casual.

Knock. Knock.

Shit.

I quickly spritzed some perfume on my wrists and pulled my hair back. I rarely ever let my hair hang loose. It felt too weird. Like a mop on my head or something. I slipped on some converse shoes and grabbed my purse as I made my way to the door.

When I opened it, I was blown away.

Standing in front of me was Rosé in a cute white dress. The sleeves were off the shoulder, showing her defined collarbones. She wore small, strappy heels that shimmered silver in the light. Her hair laid across her chest in beautiful starlet curls and her smile was bright as ever. She looked...

"Beautiful," I said softly. "I mean, you look beautiful."

"Thank you, Lisa," she beamed. "You look rather handsome yourself." She paused for a moment. "Wait a sec."

Her heels clicked along the floor as she moved closer to me. She carefully fixed the collar on my shirt, which seemed to be cockeyed. She smoothed it down gently and smiled.

"There, that's better," she said. "You ready?"

"Yeah." I nodded.

She took my arm as we walked down the stairs in my apartment building. I couldn't tell if she was holding on for support or just because she wanted to. Either way, I was fine with it.

We hopped in her car as she drove along. I still had no idea where we were going, but I didn't question Rosé or her ways. We drove farther and farther away from town and out towards the water's edge. I didn't know too many places out this way, but I was excited to find out.

Rosé pulled into the parking lot of a small restaurant on the pier. The view of the beach was quite exquisite from here, almost as if it was on a postcard. Rosé hopped out of the car and led me inside the quaint restaurant, which was bustling with people.

"Wow, Rosé, this looks really fancy," I marveled at the shimmering lights around us.

She giggled, gripping my arm still. "What, did you think I'd take you to McDonald's?"

"Rosé!"

She and I turned in sync to see a man in a waiter's outfit walking over to us. His hair was bleach blonde, and he had a bright smile on his face. I raised an eyebrow. Did Rosé know him? My question was soon answered.

"Freddy!" She beamed, rushing up to hug him. "So good to see you!"

"God, you're still as pretty as ever!" My hand clenched into a fist at his words, and I didn't even realize it. "What can I do for you ladies tonight?"

"A table on the pier, if you don't mind," she replied.

"Right this way."

Rosé gripped my hand again, causing me to release my fist. Freddy led us onto the pier, where a quaint table awaited us. It was secluded from the others, but the view was gorgeous. Small candles and twinkle lights lined the area and I could feel my heartbeat race.

"Can I get you two started with some drinks?" Freddy asked as we sat down.

"I'll have an iced tea," Rosé said. "What about you, Lisa?"

"Water," I responded.

"Iced tea and a water, please," she stated. "And would you put one of those cute umbrellas in my tea?"