Chapter Five: Wake-Up Call

"God, people live in this weather?" Brent complained as we got off the bus. "It's as cold as Antarctica!"

"Stop being so dramatic," I chuckled. "It's only Seattle."

"I forgot how cold it was up north," he said. "It's been a while since I've traveled up here."

I took a deep breath, inhaling the brisk air around us. "I think it's quite nice. A break from the aggressive heat. Like a vacation."

"And your idea of a vacation is going to a frigid climate?" he questioned.

"It's refreshing," I replied. "How much time do we have before warm-up?"

"About 4 hours, give and take," he said. "Why do you ask?"

"I'm going to get some rest in the hotel. I barely slept on that plane ride." I heaved my bag out of the trunk of our rental car.

"You seriously need a better sleep schedule, Lis," Brent sighed.

"I know, I know," I said. "But in my defense, the plane seats were uncomfortable."

He scoffed. "Sure they were."

We headed up to our hotel room, carrying our heavy bags with us. Since the team was normally all males, the players never really batted an eye to entirely separate rooms. Coach asked me if I wanted a room all to myself, but I declined his offer. Besides, Brent gets lonely sometimes.

I barely even put my things away before I collapsed on the soft, well-made bed. It was much comfier than those blasted plane seats. Hastily, I threw off my shirt and shorts, leaving me only in my underwear. Most girls would be appalled doing that in front of their guy friends, but I wasn't too phased and neither was Brent. I mean, I changed in the guys' locker room, after all.

I rolled over to my side, cuddling up under the covers.

"I'm gonna go get lunch with a few of the guys," Brent said as he walked towards the door. "Want me to get you anything?"

"I'll be okay, thanks." My voice was muffled in the pillow.

"Okay," he chuckled. "Bye, Lis."

"Bye, Brent."

Before long, I had drifted off to sleep.

-------------------------------------------------

"Lisa?"

I groaned as a soft, gentle voice cut through my slumber. I rolled over and looked at the clock on the bedside table, which read 3:27. Was it really that late? Had I slept for 3 hours? I never got to have naps like that in the middle of the day.

"Lisa, c'mon."

I blinked a couple of times before looking to my left to see a familiar blonde sitting on the edge of my bed. I quickly jolted awake, which caused the covers to slip off, showing me in only my lingerie. I pulled it back up rapidly, making her giggle.

"Rosé! What...What are you doing here?" I stuttered.

"Brent sent me here to fetch you." She tilted her head to the side. "You're due back at the field in an hour and it takes a solid 15 minutes to get there."

"Shit," I muttered. "I slept way too long."

"It's okay," Rosé giggled again. "Now go get ready. We don't have much time."

"Right, right," I said.

I got up out of bed and grabbed some underwear before heading towards the bathroom. I quickly took a shower and washed my hair, hoping that I could look at least a bit presentable in front of Rosé. My cheeks reddened in embarrassment thinking about what happened just a few minutes ago. She'd seen me half-naked. Sure, we were friends, but we weren't on that level yet. At least I don't think we were. Girl friendships can be tricky.

As I put on my underwear and sports bra, I realized that I didn't have my uniform with me. Damn. I left it in the drawer in my room. I groaned as I turned the door handle. Rosé had seen me once half-naked. Hopefully, she wouldn't mind it again.

"Hey, Rosé, have you seen-"

I stopped dead in my tracks as I saw Rosé sitting on my bed wearing my jersey. It was far too big on her and definitely looked more like a nightgown than a shirt. My lips curled into a smile. I couldn't help it. She looked far too cute in it. I couldn't lie. Seeing my name and number splayed on her back made me beam.

"Oh, were you looking for this?" She gestured to the shirt.

"Y-Yeah," I stuttered. "I kinda need that for the game."

Promptly, Rosé took it off, leaving me slightly saddened. "Sorry. I was just a bit cold."

"Keep it on." I pushed it back to her.

"What?" she questioned. "But I thought you needed it."

"I do," I said. "But I need to put on a few other things first. Besides, I don't want you to be cold."

She smiled, pulling my jersey back on. "Thank you. I get why you like wearing this now. It's comfy."

"Yeah?" I pulled on my uniform pants.

"Umm-hmm." She nodded. "Between you and me, I think you've got the better uniform."

"But yours looks cute," I said.

She scoffed. "It may look cute but it's a bitch to wear out on the field. I mean, imagine having to wear a sports bra and leggings in 30-degree weather!"

"No wonder you're so cold." I grabbed my undershirt and padding. "Do they want you guys to freeze to death?"

"Seems like it," she chuckled. "It might snow during the game, you know."

"Are you serious?"

"Dead serious," she said. "And I've got to wear this damn thing."

"I'm sorry," I replied, not sure how to respond.

"It's fine." She shrugged. "You want your jersey back, I reckon?"

I nodded and she pulled it off and handed it to me. Even through all my padding, the shirt felt much warmer than usual and I couldn't help but smile. There was also a faint scent of Mon Paris laced in with it. I began to tie my hair up, but Rosé quickly stopped me.

"Lis!" she groaned. "You're getting your hair all tangled!"

"How else am I supposed to do it?" I argued.

She rolled her eyes. "You got a hairbrush?"

I retrieved my hairbrush from the bathroom counter and brought it to her.

She patted the spot on the bed next to her. "Sit."

I did as she said, plopping myself down next to her. She moved behind me and began to slowly brush my hair. Her hands lightly held the strands giving them a firm pull whenever she came across a tangle, which was quite often. I'd never been the type to take care of my hair. I didn't think it really mattered, but Rosé seemed to think so. She gathered my hair into one high ponytail and tied it off with a ponytail holder that stayed on my bedside table.

"Much better," she said, hopping off the bed. "Now c'mon. We've got to get to the field."

I strapped on my sneakers and grabbed my gym bag, slipping a few things inside. Just then, a red object caught my eye. My jacket! I completely forgot that we were given team jackets since I barely wore mine back in Tampa. I pulled it off the chair it was draped over and was about to put it on.

But then I noticed Rosé.

The poor thing was shivering in her sparkly sports bra and leggings. I never understood why the cheerleader outfits in the NFL were so skimpy. They looked more like something you'd wear when performing at a nightclub, rather than a football game.

I walked over to her and draped the jacket over her shoulders, causing her to jump in surprise.

"Take it," I said. "I don't want you freezing to death."

"Thank you," Rosé whispered as I unlocked the door. "Ready?"

"Ready." I nodded.