Chapter Four: Late-Night Practice

I fumbled with the key in my hand as I unlocked the stadium's backdoor. If anyone saw me out here doing this, they'd think I'd gone mad. Sneaking into a football stadium at 8:00 at night? Technically, it wasn't sneaking. Coach allowed me to come in for late-night practices since he knew I trained harder than the rest of my teammates.

I walked into the dark stadium, placing my gym bag down on the sideline. I carefully trudged over to the electrics. Why were there so many goddamn light switches? After a few attempts, I was able to get the stadium lit just enough so I could practice.

Holding the football in my hands always gave me a sense of power. With it, I felt as though I could accomplish anything I put my mind to. It reminded me of the days when I was a little kid throwing the ball back and forth with my dad. Before I felt misplaced. Before I was judged. Before I had to work harder than anyone else.

I positioned the football on the tee to kick it. My position on the field wasn't a kicker, but I still wanted to grow my skills in that category. I took a deep breath and looked up at the goalpost in front of me. The bright yellow aggressively reflected into my eyes as I stepped back for a running start. Quickly, I ran towards the ball, swinging my foot to kick. The ball flew towards the goalpost, aiming a bit too high for my liking. It ricocheted off the top of the goalpost and into the sidelines, causing me to sigh.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's supposed to go through the goalposts, right?"

My eyes widened abruptly as I quickly turned on my heel. There, leaning against the sideline wall was a familiar blonde, still wearing her practice uniform. I hadn't talked to her since I gave her coffee a few days ago. I'd been so busy with practices that I couldn't find the right time to talk to her again. She walked across the field, stopping a few feet away from me.

"Ideally, yes," I answered. "I'm just not that great a kicker."

"Neither am I," she chuckled. "Can I try?"

"Sure." I shrugged.

I ran to get the ball for her, which had flown farther than I expected. I walked back to her and moved the tee out of the way. It was much easier to kick the ball when a person was holding it and not a flimsy tee. I knelt and positioned the football on its end in front of her.

"Okay." I looked up at her. "You might want to get a running start."

Rosé stepped back a few steps. "This good?"

I nodded. "Perfect. Now, you've got to get the right amount of height and distance to make it through the goalposts. It's better to use the top of your foot to kick it since it's more comfortable. And you're going to want to start winding up your leg at half-stride for the maximum speed."

"I'm just gonna kick it," she said simply.

Rosé ran towards the ball, her speed at a quick pace. Her short skirt swished back and forth a bit as she ran. Once she neared the ball, she swung her leg back and hit the ball with a loud bam. The ball went flying up into the air, spinning in cartwheels as it made its way towards the goalpost. Then, as if it was in the Hall of Fame, the ball spun through the goalposts, perfectly centered.

"You sure you're not a good kicker?" I chuckled.

She sat down next to me. "Well, it helps when you have a good teacher."

"M-Me?" I stuttered.

"Yeah, you." She nudged my shoulder. "You're really talented, Lisa."

My cheeks reddened. "You think so?"

"Yes." She beamed. "Even if you did knock over a cheerleader."

"I'm still really, really sorry about that." I looked down.