"What's happening?" I yell over the screeching echoing through the trees repeatedly, like an alarm. Elves who were walking peacefully on the paths beside us a moment ago are now running into the closest tree, voices raised in panic. I watch as the doors of the trees visibly seal up, the seams in the wood filling in until there is no visible door at all.

"It's a break-in warning." She listens again, and must pick up some frequency I can't yet hear, because her face goes pale.

"What?"

"A small group of Cin somehow got past our walls, they're in the city."

Panic surges through me, even though I barely know the Cin or who they are. Only that they're not good news. And probably the cause of my fathers death. Before I can think on it, however, Knox is appearing behind Elanil, his transport rock in his hand, face grim. Behind him, through a purple, swirling portal, a group of ten or more soldiers, dressed in elven armor, appear and race off in the direction of the wall bordering Bhailewood.

"Mia," Knox says as he rushes up to us. I notice that he too has a chest plate of some kind of magical elven armor, dark green in color and very solid looking. A long bow is slung across his back, the string crossing his front, and a sheath of arrows in a leather case hangs at his back. "We need to get you back to the palace."

I look back to Elanil, who is nodding in agreement.

"I can fight," I say with more confidence than I feel. "I've been training."

"We haven't even started working on weapons yet," Elanil says, shaking her head. Knox is also shaking his head.

"No, it's too dangerous. We can't risk the Cin getting their hands on you."

"Well I- Wait, is that why they broke in? To get me?" Alarm strikes me, as well as a little guilt. If that's true, the only reason they broke in, and might be hurting people, is because of me. Knox must see the worry on my face, because his features soften a bit under the steely determination.

"Yes, we think so. Don't worry, we're all very strong here. Nobody is getting hurt. But we need to get you to safety."

Even though panic is taking over most of my emotions, a little anger slips in as well. These are the people that killed my dad. The least I can do is help win I fight that I caused. If there is even going to be a fight.

"I'm coming with you!" I exclaim, suddenly realizing how quiet the forest is now that the sirens have stopped. I place my hands on my hips and stare down Knox, who is looking at me with a 'please, you really think you can beat them?' look. I don't appreciate that very much. Even if it's true...

"Mia, you are not fighting with us. I'm sorry, but-"

"I know it's dangerous! But in case you've forgotten, my dad was killed by these guys. The least I can do is help now." A lump swells in my throat, but I push it down. I can't get upset right now. Knox blows out an exasperated breath, white fog billowing out of his mouth.

"Another time. But you're not trained enough, and we can't risk you getting taken. I can't let you get hurt. I'm sorry, Mia, but we have to go. You have to stay safe."

I open my mouth to protest more, but before I can Elanil grabs Knox's and my arm, throwing down a white stone. Smoke fills my vision and a second later we're outside my room in the palace. Warmth settles down on my shoulders, the warm glow of the hallway almost making me forget what's going on outside.

Elanil grabs my hand and presses it to my door, which open silently. She walks in, dragging me with her.

"Hey!" I cry, getting more and more frustrated with El and Knox. They're treating me like a kid. Okay, the rational side of me knows they're just trying to protect me, but still.