60- Epilogue

Mia's POV

--------------------

Two years later...

Laughter rings through the forest as I ride down the path, the hot summer air dampened by a cool breeze.

"Falling behind here!" My mom calls from behind me, smiling. I laugh, slowing my horse to a walk as my mom comes up beside me, blowing hair out of her face.

"I don't understand how you ride these things every day," she continues, panting.

"Lots of practice," I reply as we make it back to Bhailewood, heading for the castle. Bhailewood is truly beautiful in the summer- explosions of green everywhere, masses of colorful flowers on the ground, some are types of flowers that don't exist on Earth, but are stunning. Everything is so alive in the warm months.

The guards mock salute me as we drop our horses off at the stable and head inside. I salute right back with a grin, leading my mom inside. Sometimes I still can't believe she's here.

It took spending five months straight back on Earth after the war, but I finally figured it out. I went back to high school with Lizzie and my other friends, getting my diploma on time and living with my mom again. Don't ask what mom's excuse was for me missing a few months of school, because I have no idea. And don't even get me started on all the remarks I got about my tattoos.

Anyway, until I graduated I lived with my mom, visiting Earthe once every month. It was hard being away, but at the same time I needed to ground myself back on Earth for a bit. It was when Lizzie went off to college across the country that I finally came back to live on Earthe. Safe to say Knox missed me- a lot. There was a party, that's all I'll say.

Now that I live on Earthe, my mom decided to come live with me. The best part is, she doesn't have to work anymore. We still go to Earth for holidays and just to visit. I'm planning on visiting Lizzie again towards the end of the summer- I've been visiting every year, and by now she knows everything. I even took her to Earthe one day. Afterwards I asked her if she wanted to come stay with us, but she declined, to my surprise. She said if she saw Earthe again, a place that beautiful, she wasn't sure she would come back, and she had a life growing on Earth. I understood completely. That's exactly what had happened to me.

-

Music from a nearby summer celebration drifts through the air as I head into the dining hall. Knox, Halion, Flint and Elanil are all sitting there, the same table as usual, stuffing their faces with rolls. An easy smile rests on my face as I stock my own plate and find my spot next to Knox. He rests his hand on my knee and pecks a quick kiss to my temple.

"How was it?" He asks. I smile, swallowing a bite before replying, "good. My mom is kinda a natural. If not a bit slow."

Knox laughs, nodding. I push his hair over his shoulder to see his shirt, which is unbuttoned down to the top of his abdomen. The scar from being stabbed, a clean line, is still there. But over it, in the same design as my hand, is a perfect tree with tiny vines forming a circle around it. The tree of life, a gift from my father after I saved Knox's life. We both cherish the marks, especially me. As a reminder of not only what happened, but of my dad. Mostly the dad thing. I think I've almost completely mentally healed from the war. It took a while, with lots of long, long talks with Knox, my mom, and even some counseling with Knox's dad Rothilion. He's actually really good at giving advice and listening. But now the scars from the past are nothing more than the faded ones on my arm and hands- just a memory.

Dae Taur has assimilated with the rest of Earthe, and is doing good. Overall, everything is good. What's even better is the brightness of the future. Sure, there are a few rebel groups that broke out after the war, but nothing is perfect, and we'll deal with them eventually.

I really did end up getting that adventure I'd always wanted, although it wasn't quite what I had imagined. And it's nowhere near over.

I remember, a little over two years ago, googling that people dream four to six times per night. I almost never remembered them. But here, in this glowing, beautiful world, with all the people I love, I never have to wake up.

Each day feels like a dream. And I still have a hell of a lot more to go.

- THE END -

Oh my god. It still feels surreal that it's over. I started writing this book in November of 2020. 2020!!! Meaning it's been TWO YEARS. I banged out half of the book pretty quick, but then I got writers block. I would get blocked for months, wanting to write but really not feeling like it at the same time. If that makes sense. Luckily I got my groove back.

I love this story and these characters so much. I've had this story for so long, written it in such detail, that I feel like I personally know the characters- I feel so connected to them. I feel like I lived in Bhailewood myself. But, seriously, where is my adventure with a hot guy😑

Fun fact, much of Mia's personality is based on my own. I've always loved reading and watching adventure and fantasy themed stuff because I wanted to go on an adventure so bad. I used to pretend to be on adventures- what kid doesn't? Anyway, I basically lived my dream story through Mia.

I wrote the whole battle sequence in less than a week, so apologies if it's not great or doesn't quite flow. To be honest, I've been stuck for so long it feels nice to just get it done.

I hope you have all enjoyed the story as much as I enjoyed writing it. I hope you all get the adventures you want, and a hot person to go along with it;)

Much love,

- Avery<3

P.S. I have a few chapters in Knox's POV coming up ;)