Chapter 26

Two weeks later, it's June 22—the day of the testimonies with Senator Cramer's committee. She wakes up early so that she can dress and get coffee—something she can finally re-introduce into her diet four weeks post-op. She opts for a white oxford shirt, navy pencil skirt, and nude Louboutins. She applies light, neutral makeup and straightens her hair into a half-up/down style. She accents the look with her late mother's thin Vivienne Westwood pearl choker, her brown Fendi sunglasses, and Chanel No. 5 before leaving for the coffee shop and meeting Aaron outside on the Hill. She's just in time to meet Aaron and hands him his coffee.

 She's just in time to meet Aaron and hands him his coffee

"Good morning, Agent," she says, kissing his cheek.

"Good morning," he says with a smile. "You look really pretty. Where are those pearls from?"

"They—they were my mother's," she says, fiddling with them.

"Ahhh," he says, slightly regretting that he asked so as not to upset Eliza.

"It's ok, honey...I just thought it'd be good to have her close today." She says, smiling.

"I think that's a great idea," he says softly. "Come on, let's go up and settle in. We'll be here a while." He reaches out and takes her hand as they head up to the Hill. Eliza enjoys hearing her heels click on the stone floors; it makes her feel the most "normal" than she has for the past month. They soon arrive to their designated location and give the guard their names, who lets them in to the lobby to wait with the others.

"Eliza!" Penelope says. "What are you doing here? I mean, I'm happy to see you of course, but—"

"I'm here to help," Eliza says. "When I heard you all had to do this, Strauss was my first call. Well, once my internal bleeding calmed down. They need to hear my side so they'll ease up. I owe you at least that much."

"You don't owe us anything, angel. But we'll gladly take the help." Dave says. Eliza smiles and sits down next to Aaron. There's a general anxiety and distaste in the air. No one is excited to be here.

"Are you sure you want to do this? I promise you don't have to," Aaron says.

"I know I don't have to, but I want to." Eliza says.

"I'm just worried about you," he says, taking her hand. "This is a big step, and it really hasn't been that long. I just want you to be as strong as you have been, but I also want you to know that it's ok to break down sometimes, too. And that you know that I'm here whatever the day or wherever I may be."

"I know," Eliza says. "You're right that it's a big step, but it's one that I want to take. One that I'm welcoming. I hope you can understand that."

"I do," Aaron says softly. "I guess just...just speak from the heart."

"I will," she says, squeezing his hand. She sees a woman she does not recognize approach and walk toward her and Aaron.

"Aaron," she says as Aaron rises to greet her.

"Ma'am. This is Dr. Eliza Carlisle. Eliza, this is Erin Strauss, our Section Chief," he says. Eliza stands to shake her hand.

"It's a pleasure, ma'am. Thank you for your help in getting me here today."

"I'm happy to. Let me know if there's anything you need."

"Thank you."

A guard enters from the testimony room. "Agent Jareau, they're ready for you." She enters, and then Derek, Dave, and Penelope take their turns before Aaron is summoned inside. Eliza looks up at him and squeezes his hand. "Go. You'll be great." He then enters the room to face Cramer and his committee.

-

"Agent Hotchner, your team's actions the night of May 24 directly contrasted with the Bureau's standard policies and procedures, and you were unable to apprehend an international terrorist into your custody alive. Why was this?" Senator Cramer asks.

"Dr. Carlisle's life was in imminent danger. We traced security camera footage from George Washington University and determined that an acquaintance and her ex-fiancé were following us the night of May 20."

"And by us, do you mean she and yourself?"

"That was what was captured on the security footage, but based on Agent Prentiss' previous connections to Ian Doyle, we profiled that the targeting of Dr. Carlisle was by an extension a targeting of Agent Prentiss, which could extend to the entire team, or worse. We ran Walsh's and McCarthy's cell phone records and found the shared connection to Ian Doyle. Once Agent Prentiss shared more information about her past meetings with him through Interpol, alongside our own research, we knew we had to take action, or Dr. Carlisle would soon lose her life."

"And no one decided to inform Metropolitan PD of this information? I see there were no issues with your cell phones that evening."

"Not the detectives, sir, but we did call in SWAT for tactical assistance."

"Ahh yes, to carry out your agenda to save Dr. Carlisle and eliminate anyone in your way, as I see your shot was the one that killed Ian Doyle."

"If the suspects posed a danger to themselves, the team, or to Dr. Carlisle, then yes, we would apprehend the suspects as was appropriate. What are you implying, Senator?"

"I'm implying that this case was personal for each of you, but particularly to you because of your relationship to the victim. And, because it was so personal to you, that it would've been much more responsible for you to stay out of the way."

"With respect, Senator, do you have a question to ask, or do you intend to simply critique me?"

"I have no further questions, Agent Hotchner. That will be all. For the future, I do suggest you watch your tone with me." Aaron simply glares at him before rising stoically from his chair, buttoning his jacket, and making his exit to meet Eliza pacing in front of their chairs.

"How'd it go?" Eliza asks.

"A waste of time. I honestly don't know what they're going to do." They both sit.

"Well, there's nothing more you can do." Eliza says, starting to worry and feeling a lot of pressure to make her testimony stick. "Fucking Cramer," she thinks to herself. After Aaron's exit, Spencer enters, followed by Emily. It feels like an eternity as Eliza waits.

"Dr. Carlisle," the guard soon says. Eliza turns to Aaron, who nods at her in reassurance. Eliza then rises to enter the room.

Ahhh hell, another cliffhanger, I know...trust me, Eliza's testimony will be worth the wait ;)) this book only has 10 more chapters and an epilogue left...I am sad to see it dwindle down, but I love what's in store for E & the BAU bunch. xoxoxo! <333