Chapter 20

Meanwhile, from the hallway...

"Do my old ears deceive me, or did someone say three big words tonight?" Dave asks.

"I did...we both did, actually..." Aaron replies, smiling as they head toward the elevator.

"Thank God. I caught your little tear slip after Chopin," Dave says.

"I TOLD YOU I saw him cry, pretty boy!" Derek says to Spencer, the younger men joining their older colleagues. "You owe me 20 bucks."

"Buy your beers and we'll call it even," Spencer offers.

"Done!" Derek says with enthusiasm. "Rossi, you want in?"

"I'm in. I'll meet you downstairs," Dave replies as Derek and Spencer enter the elevator.

"What are you waiting for?" Aaron asks.

"We'll get the next one. I just wanted to say that I'm happy for you. You deserve this. She's the best."

"She is," Aaron says, unable to contain his smile. "I will admit it now...I'm smitten."

"Atta boy," Dave says as the next elevator arrives.

-

Eliza walks toward her bar cart and pours some wine as everyone descends into the living room. "I'm telling you girls, this sounds nuts and doesn't even feel real, but I'm in love, like for real, full stop, in love love. Holy fucking shit."

"Who said it first?" JJ asks.

"He did," Eliza says smiling. "I went outside because I wanted some time just us today before the triathlon, and he read my mind of course. He came outside and I was going on about my view of the Washington Monument when he just blurts it out. He gave a sweet little spiel and told me I didn't have to say it back, but I did. It just felt right. And then—"

"And THEN? You mean it gets BETTER?!" Penelope asks.

"We both basically confessed that we both wanted to say it at the same time the other day."

"Shut the fuck up," Penelope says.

"I know...when he picked me up Wednesday before the hooding ceremony, I was flipping shit about my speech, and he just reassured me that I could do it and that he'd be right there and we both said tonight how we almost said it then, but we didn't."

"Wow," Emily says softly. The other girls all look up at her. "What? I'm happy for you," Emily says with a smile.

"Thanks, Em." Eliza says.

"Just curious...when are you gonna tell him about Sam?" Emily asks.

"Oh, I did tonight. I felt ready. And..."

"What is it?" JJ asks.

"He uh...he told me about what happened to Haley."

"Oh wow," Penelope says.

"Yeah," Eliza says. "I just cannot imagine what that must've—what that still is like..."

"How did it come up?" JJ asks.

"We were both like 'well since we love each other, you should know xyz,' and they both just kind of happened. I had no idea what to say; I thought she was sick or something until he told me. Then I just kinda asked him what she was like, what his favorite thing was about her, and how she sounded like a great person and is always with them both."

"I bet he really appreciated that, Eliza; more than you know." Emily says.

"I just really didn't know what to say." Eliza says, pausing. "But yeah, that was that. Then I asked him if he really cried a little after I played. God love him; he was so worried about who saw."

"Wait, he CRIED after you played?" JJ asks.

"You mean you missed him shed a little tear? God, it was the cutest thing ever," Penelope says. "Can you imagine your wedding? Kleenex will have to pay him royalties." They all laugh at that before continuing to chat until it gets to be 11:00.

"Well my pretties, we should get some sleep before this triathlon," Eliza says. "Text me your coffees and I'll snag them on my way."

"You're an angel among mortals, sweet one," Penelope says before hugging her. "So so proud of you, as always."

"Thanks, P."

"See ya in the morning, Doctor!" JJ says with a hug before leaving with Penelope.

"Sounds good; love you." Eliza calls off before turning to her sister. "Em, you wanna ride together tomorrow?"

"That works. Hey—I'm really happy for you. This seems like a really good thing for both of you." Emily says.

"Thank you; that means a lot to me. I'll see you in the AM." Eliza says with a hug before seeing her out and working on some of the dishes. She then hears a knock at the door, thinking one of the girls left clothes or a phone, and opens it.

"Madison?" Eliza asks.

"Hello, Eliza," Madison scoffs, before hitting Eliza's stomach with a baseball bat.