Chapter 18

"Hello, Mother," Eliza says, giving her a hug. She shoots daggers at her sister over her shoulder, who looks at her apologetically. "I thought you were stuck in Kiev."

"I caught a late flight yesterday and arrived just this morning," Elizabeth Prentiss replies. "I'm sorry I couldn't be there for your speech, but I saw it gained a lot of attention." Once Anna Wintour saw the video Eliza shared with her, she had Vogue share it all over the place. Eliza was so grateful that she didn't spot paparazzi anywhere near the campus—or at least any that were blatantly obvious. "You did a beautiful job," Elizabeth says.

"Thank you, Mother." Eliza replies. "How long are you here?"

"Just the evening," Elizabeth replies.

"Well you should come to the little dinner I'm having before you go, to celebrate. At my place."

"I think I can manage that."

"Wonderful...have—have you met Agent Hotchner?"

"Ambassador, it's a pleasure, ma'am," Aaron says nervously, reaching to shake Elizabeth's hand. She does not oblige.

"Are you sleeping with my daughter?" Elizabeth asks sternly. Emily's jaw drops.

"Mother," Eliza says, stopping her.

"No Eliza, I want to know! Your sister of course neglected to mention anything, leaving me to find out by seeing you *necking* the man in the middle of the Quad! You really should behave more professionally; after all, you're part of the President's Cabinet now, and—"

"Stop," Eliza says, holding up her hand. "First, quit blaming Emily. Second, we weren't necking. Third, we are dating. We are a couple, if you must know. And I am very, very happy," she says, a smile immediately crossing her lips as she clutches Aaron's arm and looks up at him. "Now, is there anything else I can help answer for you, or shall I see you at dinner tonight?" Elizabeth pauses before replying.

"I'll see you tonight," she says, much softer this time.

"Thank you," Eliza says calmly, squeezing her mother's hand. "Thank you for coming. I'm glad you're here."

"Agent," Elizabeth says, now shaking Aaron's hand.

"Ma'am," Aaron says with a smile. Elizabeth then leaves, and Emily moves to hug Eliza.

"Were you gonna TELL ME she was here?!" Eliza says.

"I'm sorry, I tried!! You didn't answer your cell," Emily says.

"So THAT'S why I had so many missed calls," Eliza says with a smirk.

"Alright alright, I need pictures of this momentous occasion!!" Penelope says. "Come on, family; group shot, then the boys, then the girls, then the lovers," batting her eyelashes toward Eliza. "Oh come on, indulge us please!"

"Alright," Eliza says. They all move to take their pictures until it's hers and Aaron's turn just the two of them.

"You better be recreating that kiss!" Penelope says.

"Oh, I don't—ahh!" Eliza can't finish her thought before Aaron dips and kisses her again.

"I am living EVERY dream right now!!" Penelope says frantically as she snaps her shots. The pair then rises from the kiss to take some more sweet shots, and Penelope proudly shows them off.

"Eeeeeppp, these are so cute!!!" Eliza says, excitedly. "Don't you think?" She asks Aaron.

"Well you, you are beautiful, but I don't know about me so much," Aaron says shyly, scratching his head.