No Going Back

Julie pushed through the double doors, entering the school hallway. She was tired. It was a Monday, so was anyone really surprised?

"Julie! Oh my gosh, congrats!"

"That's sick, Julie!"

"I'm so proud of you!"

"Thank you?" Julie laughed awkwardly and walked toward her locker. She had no idea what anyone was talking about and was far too tired to make any sense of it.

"Julie!" A familiar voice. Flynn.

"Yo, did I do something I don't know about?" Julie asked, shutting her locker door.

Flynn was staring at her with the biggest grin. "You don't know?" She was shocked. "You won the competition!"

Julie's eyes widened. "Oh my god. What? I haven't even checked my phone yet today. I was running late..." she rambled on, pulling out her phone to multiple texts and emails.

Flynn sighed and wrapped an arm around her best friend, leading her toward class. "How does it feel knowing you're about to be super famous?"

Julie rolled her eyes. "I won technically, but I still have to confirm it with them," she showed Flynn the email with instructions.

"And the guys," Flynn added.

"And the guys," Julie nodded, repeating her.

"And your dad."

"And my dad," Julie grimaced, fearing that conversation.

Her day at school passed slower than usual. It was probably because she was too excited to go home and give the guys and her dad the good news. And every time she was excited about something, time went by slower than ever.

Everyone was congratulating Julie throughout the day. In class, in between class, during lunch, and even in the bathroom. It wasn't like anything she had ever experienced before.

While walking down the hall to her next class, Julie was approached by Carrie.

"I hear congratulations are in order," she said. Julie only heard a hint of bitterness in Carrie's voice, which was way less than her full blown bitter comments.

Julie nodded. "It's not 100% just yet, but thanks, Carrie."

"You deserve it," she smiled, and Julie felt like Carrie had genuinely meant it.

Julie smiled. Maybe things would be better between them.

"Julie!" She heard from behind her right as the bell rang. It was Nick.

She pointed at the door. "We're gonna be late."

"Just one sec. I wanted to say congrats!" Nick said, a strange smile playing at his lips.

"Thanks, Nick," Julie blushed. "That means a lot."

"You deserve it," Nick said, his smile disappearing. His eyes glazed over and he opened his mouth, purple smoke leaking out of it.