Business Meeting

Julie stepped into the living room where her dad, Carlos, Carrie and Bobby were sitting comfortably and chatting away. Alex, Reggie and Luke were stumbling behind Julie, trying their best not to knock anything over or run into her.

"Ah, here she is!" Julie's dad stood up and put an arm on Julie's shoulder.

"Julie, I haven't seen you around in a while so I thought I'd come over and congratulate you on your show in person," Bobby said.

"Dad," hissed Carrie. It was obvious that he was clueless about their friendship ups and downs.

Julie joined them on the couch. "Thank you. That means a lot," she smiled, eyeing the guys. They were hovering over where Bobby was sitting, glaring menacingly at him.

"Carlos come help me in the kitchen. What would you guys like to drink? We have plenty to choose from!" Julie's dad and Carlos made their way into the kitchen, leaving Julie alone with Carrie and Bobby.

"So where is the band Julie?" Bobby asked.

"Oh, they're holograms, dad," Carrie interrupted. "Right, Julie?"

Julie could feel her face start to heat up. Luke looked like he was two seconds away from punching Bobby right in the face.

"Yeah," she laughed nervously. "They only show up when we perform together," she said. "I mean," she stuttered. "Because they live in Sweden. So with the time difference and all that...it's just complicated."

"Sweden?" Bobby's eyebrows were raised in interest.

"I didn't know that," Carrie chimed. "You can't hear an accent when they sing or anything."

"This is backfiring," Alex started pacing.

"We're so busted," Reggie agreed.

"Oh, well, it's there when they speak just not when they sing," Julie tried to come up with excuses quickly.

"What are their names if you don't mind me asking?" Bobby questioned further.

Julie's heart pounded in her chest. She watched Carrie eye her dad with suspicion. She obviously had no clue what her dad was up to.

"Why are you so interested in her band?" Carrie whispered.

Bobby looked at Carrie and smiled. "Sorry if I seem a little over enthusiastic. I was just wondering if any record labels have contacted you yet," Bobby corrected himself.

"Dad..." Carrie's voice almost broke. She was obviously hurt. Was her father offering her rival a bump in the music industry before his own daughter?

Julie was taken aback. So were the guys. Alex had stopped pacing and was leaning against Reggie to get a better look.

"Um... not yet," she said. "But we're hoping soon."

"Do you write your own music?" Bobby continued.

She felt herself getting hot. Today was not the day she was expecting this to happen.

"Tell him I write them," Luke said, puffing out his chest.

Luke widened her eyes as if to tell him to be quiet. "Lu- I mean, the lead singer and I write them together," Julie said, hoping he didn't catch her almost slip.

But it seemed he had, for his eyes had gotten big and sweat was beginning to form on his forehead.

"Great," he laughed nervously. "It's just the songs sound a little familiar."

"Oh that's strange. I wonder why. They're all originals. It's not like we stole them from a band that died and pretended they were ours," Julie said so quickly that she couldn't believe herself.

Luke, Alex and Reggie stood with their eyes wide and mouths open. Did Julie really just say that to Bobby?

Bobby's sweat was now pouring down his neck and his eyes were wide. His breathing also seemed to have picked up and he stood up abruptly.

"What does that even mean?" Carrie laughed. It was the kind of snarky laugh that was laced with hints of Julie-is-crazy.

"I'm sorry, but we have to go. I have a uh.. business meeting in 20 minutes," Bobby said hurriedly.

"What business meeting?" Carrie asked, standing up.

"Oh going so soon?" Julie's dad came out of the kitchen with a tray full of drinks just as Bobby and Carrie were walking toward the door.

"So sorry you couldn't stay longer! See you at school, Carrie!" Julie waved them off.

"Good luck with everything," Bobby stammered and shuffled out the door.

"Alright help me put this stuff away," Julie's dad said to Carlos and they trucked back toward the kitchen.

"Julie, that was amazing!" Luke skipped over to Julie.

"I can't believe you said that to him," Alex was grinning ear to ear.

Reggie laughed. "Yeah, that was crazy!"

"Dad I'll be in the garage if you need me!" Julie yelled into the kitchen.

"Oh, right. Can't look crazy talking to yourself," Alex laughed then disappeared out of the house followed by Reggie and Luke.

Julie sighed. Those boys will be the death of her. She couldn't believe she ended up being the one to scare Trevor Wilson... or Bobby, whatever. He had it coming though. Hopefully he won't bring it up again.

"Jules," Luke was waiting for her right outside the garage doors.

"Yes, Luke," she smiled.

He stepped closer to her, clearing the space between them. What was it with this boy and his lack of personal space. Her heart began to beat faster. He was too close. He could probably hear her heart beating.

"Thank you for doing that," he said softly. "With Bobby, I mean. It means a lot to us, really." She saw his hand twitch as if it was about to go for hers.

"I know," Julie said. "That's why I had to do something."

Luke smiled. His hand twitched again but this time he reached out and grabbed hers, intertwining their fingers. "It means a lot to me," he corrected himself.

Julie's heart fluttered. She couldn't stop herself from smiling. Why does she feel such strong feelings for a ghost?

Her eyes landed on the doors of the garage where she could see Alex and Reggie's heads peeking at them. Her eyes widened and she immediately let go of Luke's hand.

Luke cleared his throat and scratched the back of his head awkwardly, realizing they were being watched.

"Shall we?" Julie laughed nervously and pointed toward the garage.

I'm loving the feedback guys! Let me know what you think will/should happen next and what you thought of the part!!