part 45

«─────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ───────»

We had spent hours of our night trying to perfect this cake for Almond. Tomura was on the verge of giving up, but I stayed strong. After many failed attempts and overbeaten batter, I finally came up with a perfect solution.

"Tomura!" I called.

"Can you pass me the whipped cream?" I asked Tomura, who was laying back and relaxing on top of the marble counter while playing games on my Switch.

Despite my quirk's abilities, I hadn't thought of putting on an apron before baking. Now, my favorite set of clothes were dirtied with sticky eggs and pesky amounts of flour. Tomura groaned, before flicking the metal can of whipped cream over to my direction. "Here." he said.

"I think I finally got it!" I said, before checking the oven one last time. I had preheated it before, but we had to keep pausing and letting it cool down since we always managed to ruin the mix. Tomura slid his legs off the edge of the counter, now heading towards me.

"That took forever." he complained, peeking over my shoulder and gagging at the ugly batter.

"Is it supposed to look like that?" he asked.

"It's not for humans, silly. Even if you wanted to, you can't eat it." I responded, while pouring the batter into the molding pan.

I opened the oven door, sliding the heavy pan underneath the heat. It would take about forty minutes to cook, and I could definitely spend some of that time cleaning around the kitchen. Almond's birthday was in a few hours, so this cake needed to finish quickly.

Currently he was in our room, sleeping the night away. Our loud ruckus and banging of pots might've waken him up, though. Tomura leaned back against the counter, staring into the hot oven.

His white strands of hair fell lightly against the sides of his face, almost reaching below his shoulder-blades. Tomura didn't exactly know how to tie his hair, so he just blew it upwards with his breath when it annoyed him.

Opening the packet of sanitizing wipes, I dusted and cleaned off the excess flour and golden yolk from the marble tops. Tomura twirled his fingers around a fake leaf, one which he had broken off a decoration.

Tearing through the fibers of soft plastic, Tomura silently counted with each strand of the falling leaf. Every now and then, I would see him glancing over at me, his chapped lips sounding out inaudible words. "Whatcha' thinking?" I asked Tomura, catching him off guard.

"Nothing." he whispered, the final piece of polyester falling gently against the counter.

The sweet aroma of fresh pastries began to fill the room, this time consisting of honey and peanut butter. I couldn't wait for Almond's party, we even bought balloons and smaller toys. Tomura acted immaturely at the supermarket, but it was definitely expected from him.

I had finally finished cleaning and polishing the countertops, but then a pile of fine dust caught my eye. As Tomura laid back on the marble, his body limp and absorbing the cold touch, I interrupted him. "Tomuraaa." I dragged, crawling up beside him.

"What?" Tomura responded, turning over and facing me.

"Did you decay the plastic leaf?" I asked, not mad at all. It was a small pile, anyways.

Tomura paused for a moment, not knowing if it was a trick question. "Yeah, yeah I did." he answered truthfully.

I slid off the edge, quickly wiping up the mess Tomura had made. He seemed ticked off about something, maybe even stressed. Tomura followed after me, now hopping off the tall, marble counter. "I'm heading outside." he said.

"Are you alright, baby?" I asked, calling him something that was unusual.

"Repeat that." Tomura demanded, facing my direction.

"What? Baby?" I giggled, the boy growing soft as my lips sounded out the word.

"Call me that from now on." he said, before heading out the door. I was a bit uneasy about the fact he was leaving, but if it was only for a few minutes, I guess it's fine.

Tomura needed a fresh breath of air, he was obviously stressed by the constant bugging and tired from the lengthy hours of baking that had passed. "He wants me to call him baby." I blushed to myself, checking on the rising cake.

I stuck a toothpick into the corner of the treat, checking if it was ready to be flipped around. No batter got stuck on the wood, so I assumed it was fine. I got a whiff of the savory aroma once I opened the oven, making me feel all giddy inside.

The chime of the door came around, telling me that Tomura had come back inside. "That was quicker than I thought." I said, my back still turned.

"(Y/N)." he said, the tone of his voice serious and alarming to me.

I shut the oven door closed, allowing the cake to continue along its baking path. Turning around and facing Tomura, I was shocked to see a thin kitten nuzzling into his warm arms. "Tomura." I stopped.

"Oh my god!" I worried, racing over to him and trying to not make a pounding noise with my feet.

He cradled the kitten within his grasp, its matted fur sticking and poking out in all directions. It hissed at me, displaying its baby fangs as I approached closer. "Hush, hush." I whispered, the young cat's back arching up.

The kitten's fur was white, but tinted orange and brown because of the bundled dirt. With small sticks and rocks tangled in its hair, the two of us already knew what to do. Tomura had always talked about getting Almond a friend, and we still hadn't come up with a perfect present for him to receive.

We stood close to each other, the kitten slightly overwhelmed by its new surroundings. The front door was flung open, all sorts of critters having a new pathway to indoors. I felt the cold breeze flying against us, sending our hair up and airing out the cake's aroma.

Tomura handed the frail kitten over to me, and for some odd reason, I saw a resemblance between the two. Tomura was discovered by his master, who only had eyes for him because of the power of his quirk. However, this kitten was found by us, a pair who wouldn't hurt it for anything in the world.

"Almond's gonna freak out." I laughed, holding the kitten close to my heart as Tomura left to shut the door.

"I bet he will." Tomura said.

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

authors note; OKAY URGENT QUESTION

should i do aizawa x reader or hawks x reader after i finish this? i'm leaning towards hawks ???

artwork by: Ghost_Kaiju on Twitter
words; 1128