Chapter 26

Charlie's POV

I have to tell her,I can't leave her in the dark,but if she doesn't know why I'm going to New York, then she'll hate me.

I start pacing around on her room,Stacey is sitting cross legged on her bed, she is nervous, she is fidgeting with the necklace I gave her and she keep getting lost in her thoughts.

"So what I'm about to tell you is probably going to sound really bad!" Stacey is holding the necklace so hard her knuckles are turning white.

"I have lung cancer." I say just above a whisper, all the colour in Stacey's face vanishes.

Stacey's POV

"I have lung cancer!" I instantly freeze, please tell me I did not hear what I just heard.
"I have had for 2 months!" Charlie says sadly.
I want to burst into tears,when I imagined this talk in my head it did not involve all this,maybe it's all a nightmare and hope I'll wake up and see that Charlie is perfectly fine.

"Why didn't you tell me?" My voice breaks.

"I didn't want you to get hurt by me,which is why I let Hunter date you for the second time,and did not say anything, you were so happy when you opened your locker! I just didn't want you to worry about me!" Charlie looks like he's barely holding everything in.

I instantly burst into tears and Charlie is next to me in a second, he starts rubbing circles on my back to calm me down and I just burst out crying more.

We sit like that for I think about 10 minutes before I actually calm down,when I let go of Charlie I see that the front of his shirt is wet because of my tears, I chuckle and when Charlie looks down he just laughs.

"This is what Jeremy was talking about earlier, about the doctors saying that you are not going to make it!" I say between hiccups.

"The doctors here said that, but when my mom asked this doctor in New York, he said that there's always hope,and that I should do the treatment there." Charlie says.

"So when are you going to New York?" I ask him nervously.

"Monday!" Charlie says.
My heart instantly shatters, if he's leaving on Monday, that means that I will most probably not be able to see him,considering the fact that it is now the end of November, and we're leaving in December.

"So are we back to being friends?" Charlie asks while rubbing his neck.
Do I want to be friends or more.

"Yes,we can still be friends! Is Hunter going with you?" Charlie instantly goes sad when I mention Hunter.

"Yes,all of us will be moving to New York!" Charlie says.
We sit in a comfortable silence and just before I can ask Charlie about how he feels about me,my mom walks in the room and says that the Collins are leaving.

Say it Stacey, tell Charlie you like him,or it will be to late.

Before I can actually say it,Charlie leaves,and I may never get another opportunity again, I fall back on my bed and just think about how on earth did my life change so quickly.

Charlie's POV

I couldn't do it,I couldn't tell Stacey how much she means to me and that I want to be more than just friends with her,but ofcourse I chickened out at the end.

Maybe she is better off with Hunter, atleast with Hunter I know that she'll be happy,with me on the other hand,I could die, and then I will cause even more grief for Stacey,so I'll just not tell her.

-----------------------

"So you didn't tell him how you feel!" Millie says,we are currently in the cafeteria discussing yesterday's topic.