6 - the gala

(y/n)'s pov - the weekend before midterms

putting on a (favorite color) yukata, i smoothed out the skirt and glanced at my reflection in the mirror. lightly pushing a loose strand of my hair behind my ear, i frowned at the mirror and the heavy makeup that the maids plastered on my face.

it's not that the makeup looked bad but... it all felt so fake.

my mother knocked on my door and came into the room, wearing her favorite red and purple yukata for the event. "are you ready (y/n)?" she came over to look at me through the mirror, and had a wide smile on her face.

"i'm ready, mother."

she grabbed one of my hair pins and slid it into the side of my hair, "you look perfect. just make sure to talk to the other heroes tonight, networking is everything!" her reminders chirped in my ear, the familiar words she always said.

perfection.

and networking.

both words i learned to despise.

i forced another smile, "of course mother. let's go."

my mother and i walked outside of my room and headed toward the front door where my father was waiting for us. as usual, he was wearing his black and red yukata to slightly match my mother.

we entered the limo parked in front and drove to the gala venue.

once we pulled up to the drop off, my dad straightened my yukata and lightly pet my hair, "ready to go (y/n)?" i nodded and kept an emotionless face. "remember to thank endeavor, talk to some of the newer heroes as well. i heard that edgeshot was thinking about switching costume makers so make sure to edge him in the right direction. show off our perfect little girl, and don't forget to network!"

"of course father. don't worry."

he stepped out of the limousine and held out an arm to help out my mother, and i followed right behind them.

flashes from paparazzi blinded my sight, and i plastered on a smile, waving alongside my parents as we walked down the carpet.

we were the first few who came to the event space so that we could make sure that everything was set up and to greet the guests as they arrived. my parents split off to various parts of the venue to check that everything was adequate, and i ended up going over the guest list for them.

it was the usual heroes who came, most of the higher ranked heroes who could take the night off and were interested in either mingling with other heroes or interested in doing business.

"could we dim the lights a bit? and rearrange the tables to the edge of the room more for space." my mother requested the waiters and waitresses who quickly sprung from their places to follow her orders.

i always felt bad for the workers because they were always so rushed and panicky when they were asked to do something by my parents.

but i knew i wasn't allowed to help them.

so i made sure to at least be nice and stay out of their way.