5 - study time!

(y/n)'s pov

midterms were coming up in a week. as expected, the class was freaking out.

me too.

ever since douma graduated high school at as an 'average student', my parents pushed me to be their perfect child.

top grades were expected.

success was expected.

anything less wouldn't be accepted.

that leads up to me, seated at a quiet cafe i've always gone to study at, with a cup of (favorite caffeinated drink like coffee).

since i came right after school, i was still wearing my normal school uniform, but i slid off the blazer to feel a bit freer.

this cafe in particular wasn't too crowded, but it was common for students to study at since it was near the library.

i was rewriting my notes for my second subject when someone else came to sit down at the same table.

surprised, i looked up to meet the half blue half grey eyes of todoroki. i dropped my pencil onto my notebook, and realized he was trying to say something to me while my earbuds were in. pulling out the earbuds i hurriedly asked, "ah, sorry i didn't hear you. could you say that again?"

with a blank look on his face, he asked again, "do you mind if i sit here? all the other tables are full."

quickly glancing around the room, the cafe was in fact full, and i moved some of my papers out of his way. "no problem, sorry for the mess."

unlike me, he must've had a change of clothes or gone home because he was wearing an open blue button up, white t-shirt, and some black jeans.

i loosened the red tie around my neck, stretching a bit and leaning back in my chair. the boy across from me was sitting down in the chair and pulled out a couple supplies to work with. popping one earbud back into my ear, i took a sip of my drink and refocused on my work.

time skip brought to you by fat gum being actually fittt 💘

after rewriting my notes, i decided to go over some of the practice questions in the textbook for practice. by now, a couple hours had passed and the sun had gone down.

furrowing my brows, i retried one of the last word problems i had for math. scribbling away work once more, i got stuck again and couldn't figure out what i was doing wrong. pushing my hand through my hair, i sighed and glanced up at the red and white boy in front of me.

i could ask him for help, he seems to be one of the smarter kids in class.

but then again i don't want to bother him.

but this question is really throwing me off.

but he's busy with his own work.

but—

"do you need something?" the peppermint boy asked, interrupting my indecisive thoughts at the same time.

i jolted up, feeling embarrassed that i was accidentally staring at him while thinking. "a-ah, uhm yeah? do you think you could help me with this real quick? i keep getting stuck..."

sliding over my notebook, i circled the question so he would easily find the problem giving me issues. using his own pencil, he wrote out his own work for the problem to the side of my attempts.

once finished, he handed back the notebook with a short, "here."

this boy has some nice handwriting. yes, it may just be a math problem, but his writing was verrry neat.

i scanned his work, following along in my head with different justifications as to why he would do each step. but then i got stuck on one of the steps in the work.

"uhm todoroki? could you explain this part to me?" i asked, unconsciously rasing my pencil to my mouth out of habit. i rested the end of the pencil on my face as i looked up to see blue and grey eyes looking at me.

the icyhot boy got up from his seat, downing the rest of his coffee and moving around the table to my side. he leaned over my shoulder to get a closer look at what part i was talking about.

attention on the page, i drew a little arrow to the part and pulled out the earbud in my ear to give him my full attention.

under his work, he quickly wrote out the different formulas that he used in the equation. "we used these equations in class, but that was before you joined. it works best for word problems that are set up like this to solve."

moving my eyes to the new equations, i pulled over my math notes to write in the work as an example to remember later on.

after, i glanced through the work once more to make sure that i understood everything. "hmmm..."

"do you get it all (l/n)?" my mini tutor asked as he turned to face me.

i snapped out of my daze and turned, only to see his face a few inches away from my own. how did i not notice how handsome he was before? analyzing his seemingly perfect features, i lost track of my thoughts once more.

"(l/n)?" he caught my attention once more and tilted his head to the side slightly.

my breath caught in my chest and my face flushed a bit while feeling awkward, "uh yeah i think so. thank you todoroki..." stupid, now isn't the time to catch feelings. grades are my first priority. get it together (y/n).

he went back over to his seat and started to pack up his stuff, "are you heading home soon?"

checking my phone, i saw the time, 7:32 pm. "yes, i probably should be getting home soon."

"i'll walk you."

i paused in putting away my things, shocked at what i heard, "are you sure? you really don't have to."

he shook his head, "i insist."

with a sigh, i nodded my head and finished gathering my things quickly. "i live around 15 minutes walk from here."

the boy simply nodded, and we headed out of the small cafe.

on the walk home, we were both silent. i was too nervous to try and say anything, plus i figured he was more of the silent type from what i had observed. luckily, it wasn't an uncomfortable silence.

it was peaceful.

word count - 1071
a/n - i always mess up math problems cause i can't properly read the questions :,) anyways what do y'all listen to when u study??? like n comment hehe
-nova✨