Chapter 14: Hyrule

Zelda felt like a bokoblin. Truly, there was no other thing that came to her mind that identified how she was feeling right now more. A bokoblin. She felt so disconnected from the world, from her feelings, from her thoughts. It was like her brain was scrambled, underdeveloped, maybe even inexistent. She couldn't figure it out. Everything was such a mess in her head. Everything around her was also such a mess.

Hours upon hours had passed without her even realizing it. She kept walking though, running through the motions however she could, trying to find the right words, trying to react the correct way. It was as if she were in a state of shock and couldn't come out of it. She saw everyone and everything as blurs passing through her vision, and could only pay some attention to things being said.

"Princess! The Labrynnans are demanding explanations!"

"Revenge, we need revenge!"

"Justice for Hyrule!"

"The Sheikah are dead!"

"They require shelter, Princess!"

Everything was such a mess. Within hours of Link's return, news arrived to the castle about a massacre that had happened in Kakariko Village, which nobody knew was actually her adored Knight's revenge. News spread fast around the entire country, in fact, and by now, the remaining surviving Sheikah had begun arriving at Castle Town, scared for their lives, seeking shelter and protection from the crown. Zelda didn't know what was best to do in her state, but she gave them rooms in the castle, promised them protection and an investigation to find those guilty and make them pay. Most hid away in their provided rooms, but Purah -who survived due to living in Hateno along with Symin- clung to her, crying her eyes out about her younger sister.

She had sent out people to tput out the fires of the burning village and to find the bodies and burry them as respectfully as possible. She was trying her hardest to keep composed, but truly, inside, she was just as broken and scared as the Sheikah girl that followed her around. Link was nowhere to be found and that scared her even more. She loved him, but his actions had scared her like none before.

It was expected, what he did, he'd tried to do the same once before. However, that didn't prepare her enough for the chaos, the cries, the suffering, the burning. He did it for them, of course, he did it for her. That's what she had wanted, right? To be with him, to break the cycle. Well now she got it, and she had to deal with it. Where was he, though? She needed him by her side, needed his support. She was going insane without it.

She carried on her duties, commanding people here and there, signing documents left and right, giving instructions, but it all felt so empty. The only thing that didn't feel void was her cancellation of her wedding.

Now being only a few hours away from what would have been her marriage to the heir of Labrynna, she called it off as Link and her had discussed before he left, claiming the stress of the current situation made her blood run cold and realize that she didn't want to have to deal with two countries' troubles at once. One was enough. She couldn't marry into another kingdom too. She put up walls of excuses and even cried a little. She didn't like having to talk to Bronn though.

Bronn was an excellent man. He'd been with her through her worst moments, had helped cheer her up, had been a complete gentleman. He even understood the unique situation of her feelings for Link. She respected that, and respected him, so she let him know. He didn't take it kindly, though, and didn't believe her excuses one bit. He knew it was because of Link.

"You're calling off our wedding merely hours from it?" He'd asked in a harsh tone. "And you dare think I'll believe all this nonsense? You've been acting all weird and lovey-dovey with that boy since he came back! I've been trying to contain my jealousy about it and give you space to sort your feelings, I've tried to be understanding, and this is how you repay me?!" He'd yelled, and Zelda let him, willing him to take it all out and hopefully feel better about the hurt she'd caused him. "It's unfair, Princess! I cared for you, you know? It is not fair..."