Chapter 7: Return to Kakariko

The next two days flew by like a breeze. After their day-long delay, they galloped through Central Hyrule at top speed, allowing time for their horses to rest now and then, and to catch up with their bodily needs, like food and water. In just a day, they made it to the Dwelling Peaks, where they camped for the night.

In the morning, she began to feel nervous. Very nervous. She started regretting her decisions now that she was so close to finally learning the truth and relieve her stress. She should have spent more time with Link. She should have finished her task. She should have visited all the settlements like she said she would.

She already was becoming such a bad Princess, and she hadn't even become Queen. What had she learned about her people? That they were alright, living without a Monarch. That they had arranged their own rules, their own trades, their own armies. That they didn't need her. Maybe she should just disappear. Perhaps that would be better than whatever it was she was doing.

She didn't even know what she was doing anymore. She was supposed to be learning about her new Kingdom, learning about the changes that occurred, about the changes that needed to be done, about the needs of her people, about how to unite them again, about everything. And yet, returning back to Kakariko, she felt empty, like she'd done nothing. She let her other worries distract her, and most of all, she got too distracted with her Knight.

Not that she was sorry for that, but she should have been a better Princess. She knew she would have time to make up for it, after what she planned to be a short visit to the village, but would she be able to handle it? She hadn't been able to control her emotions at all these last few weeks. Will she be able to control whatever these secrets would make her feel?

She had to, no matter what. Her people were counting on her. It seemed they were all eager to finally have proper roads, proper trades, a proper economy, a proper army. At least that she'd noticed.

"Everything will be alright, Zelda." She heard her lovely Hero say behind her, always able to sense her worries.

She hoped he was right.

////

"Hyrule's favorite couple..."

Impa's first words to them were full of disappointment. She and the villagers received them gladly, welcoming them back to the village and offering them sleeping accommodations, but when the three of them were alone, her true feelings surfaced.

"You're back here sooner than I expected, Princess," she pointed out in a slight scolding tone. She didn't let Zelda comment, as she continued. "I suppose that's my fault. Shouldn't have said that much to you."

Zelda bowed her head, ashamed. "I'm sorry I didn't finish my tasks yet. I just... I need to know, Impa."

"I do hope you'll finish your duty after we have this talk, Princess. The Kingdom is waiting."

"I will," Zelda promised.

"Very well." With a sigh, she added, "leave us, Link."

Link looked at the sadness in his Princess's eyes, and without care, pulled her to him in a quick hug. She didn't want to let go, but she had to. So she did, and he walked out without a word.

"I'm sorry, Princess. It truly isn't as bad as you think," the elder said, trying to cheer her up. "Things can be done."

"I'm not sure I follow," Zelda told her, confusion crossing her features.

"First, tell me something, Princess." She waited until Zelda nodded to continue. "Are you sure you've had enough time?"

"With him?" Zelda added, not really asking but letting her know she understood the meaning being the ender's words. With a small smile, she confessed, "I'll never have enough."