Chapter 6: Hyrule Ridge

Link was confused, and worried. Before arriving at Akkala Ancient Tech Lab, his Princess had wanted nothing but to take her time with everything. She would stop every few seconds to study something, to take a picture, to ask him about things in the compendium. She had wanted to spend nights at stables, or huddled up in caves or under apple trees with him. She'd wanted to talk to everyone, to explore the land, to take it all in and learn from it. But now... she was rushing.

When they left the Lab, she insisted on stopping by a stable to get some horses. He'd found it strange at first, but said nothing. His concern only grew when she began pushing her horse to it's limit, hurrying too much. Then, she didn't want to stop for the night. Not in a stable, not in a cave, not under an apple tree. She merely took a break long enough for them to eat and then wanted to continue riding throughout the night. He insisted she should rest, but she argued that there was no more time to waste. Seeing her distress, he kept his mouth shut and questions at bay, not wanting to worsen whatever was going through her mind.

The next day, refused to go to the Korok Forest, and to Pondo's Lodge too, where he'd promised he'd take her. When he asked, she muttered the same 'no time' response, but he knew something else was going on.

"Zelda, would you please tell me what's wrong?" he'd broken his silence as they took a break to eat some raw apples and drink water.

The Princess avoided his gaze, and only shook her head, urging her horse to go faster to avoid his questions. The horse was so tired of her that it didn't move any faster.

"Please?"

He heard her sigh. Then she spoke in a voice so low he barely heard. "I'm concerned," she confessed. "I'm afraid of what's to happen, that's all. I rather –I rather we be apart than something happening to you, Link. I can't go through that again." She pulled at her horse's reins to halt it.

Link followed suit, dismounting and rushing to her to help her down. Not that she needed his help, but it just gave him an excuse to touch her again. He'd missed the feel of her small waist on his hands.

"Thank you," she told him as he set her down. "I'm sorry, I know I'm acting oddly."

"I understand." He placed a gentle kiss on her forehead. "Would you like to return to Impa now?"

She nodded, "I've been thinking about it. I think it's better. We'll be safe there and... we'll know the truth."

"Do you truly fear for our safety?" He couldn't see how that was related. So far, everything was incredibly calm in Hyrule. There were no monsters, no Yiga showing up, no problems with any Hyruleans. Everything seemed to settle down right after the Calamity, and the people accepted their rightful Princess without question, too amazed and thankful of her century long sacrifice to not receive her warmly.

"I fear for yours," she said with a small smile. "We would have been there already if I hadn't acted so foolishly."

"We can get there in two days, don't worry," he reassured her.

"From Tabantha?"

"If we only take necessary stops."

She nodded in assessment. "Well, let's get going then." She walked to her horse and looked back at him to add, "Hey... let's not hurry, not tonight, okay?"

The look she gave him made his cheeks heat and his mind wander. Gulping, he responded, "okay."

////

One last night of ignorance. That was all she wanted. One last night of not thinking about anything but him, of not looking at anything but him, of not feeling anything but their love for each other. After their little discussion, she decided to walk the last day, hand in hand with him, letting him drag her around to places he thought she'd like. She pushed all negative thoughts from her head, and allowed herself to be happy with him for what would possibly be the last time.