Chapter 9: In the Shadow of a Broken Knight

He traveled far. At first, he trekked all throughout Hyrule again. On his own, finding his way through the pain that haunted him. During that time, he kept himself busy, always working for something, always trying to help someone. Always trying to help her somehow, even from far away.

He took care of every monster he found or was told of. Knowing that without a blood moon they'd never return, he saw it fit to rid the lad of them. To make the paths safe for her. For everyone. As he did that, he also hunted every last member of the Yiga that was left, destroying not only their primary hideout, but also the second one they'd hidden in after the Calamity. He blew it all up, in her name. He'd left her unprotected, which was his greatest sin, one he'd never be able to forgive himself. But he'd had to, so he would continue protecting her in his own way.

He helped her in other manners too. What he enjoyed the most was taking his time with talented Hyruleans and training them in basic combat. Most of the people he came across were already proficient at wielding weapons. After all, they'd had to learn to protect themselves to survive the ever-infested-by-monsters land. But he'd make sure to help them perfect their skills, and then send them on their way to the Castle with strict instructions of not talking about who sent them there, hoping they'd be picked as knights or soldiers eventually and therefore extending the range of his protection over her.

When he'd seen every corner of the Kingdom, he traveled further. Exploring lands he'd only heard of, happy to be in a different place, where no one could recognize him by face, where no one would ask questions.

Questions. Those were the worst.

Not a day in Hyrule passed in which he wasn't asked about her. Everyone had expected him to arrive with her. To be joined at the hip like newlyweds, even though they were never married. When the news spread of their relationship either being a rumor or coming to an unfaithful end, the questions got worse. They all wanted to know why. Why would such a perfect couple part? They all acted as if they were the heartbroken ones.

They had become a beacon of hope to them all. They had seen their union as an impossible thing that somehow came true, as a story that told you could become anything and overcome everything, as a powerful couple that would guide Hyrule to peace together forevermore. If only real life worked that way. The questions weren't the worst part, however. Everywhere he went he heard them. Those dreadful songs.

The songs about them slowly turned sadder, pathetic. They became mocks of a love that never happened. Or jabs at the Hero of Hyrule not holding his own, unable to enamor the Princess. Those that remained romantic, took a different tone. No longer were they telling the story of their love; now they told it as a legend. As a wish from the people to see them unite. As encouragement for the Knight to pursue his deepest wish.

He stopped listening to their lyrics the more time passed.

He had been gone a few months when he decided to travel to Holodrum. It had been a long trek, he'd had to cross the entirety of the Gerudo Desert on foot, which was way vaster than he'd originally thought, and then had to cross the desert that intersected with it on the way to the neighboring country. Holodrum's Samasa Desert was even bigger than Gerudo. He'd made it, though there definitely needed to be a better way for that journey.

During his stay at Holodrum, he met another Hylian. A young girl of 18 named Yolant. He had been quite pleased of his anonymity until she'd come around. She'd made his quiet stay at the City very annoying, pointing out how he should've hidden his obvious Master Sword if he truly wanted to remain anonymous. She was being rather forward and needy, too.

The day they met, somehow she'd managed to skillfully follow him without him noticing. He had been walking to the inn he stayed at one very late night, after helping the villagers with some monster problems they had. The streets were mostly deserted, and the night very chilly. Suddenly, as he walked down an alley he took often as a shortcut, he was tackled by her.