Chapter 12: Diving Into the Past

"Do you remember what I told you in Goron City?"

The hours had gone by way quicker than desired. Laying in bed, the Knight and his Princess watched as the light creeped into the room, warning the unavoidable end of their current endeavor. They'd spent the night talking, or trying to, anyway. Every time the Hero began telling her something, she would shut him up with a sweet, tongue filled kiss. The kiss would lead to other things that would ultimately make him forget what he'd intended to say in the first place. But he wanted to tell her, so he kept bringing it up.

She nodded at his question, like she'd done three times before, humming her yes. Once again, her hand traced the planes of his face, paying particular attention to his lips. "I told you I remember," she whispered, before pressing her lips to his.

He gave into the kiss as always, but this time cut it short. "You don't let me finish," he teased her, pulling her face to his this time. The entanglement of their bodies made warmth spread throughout him once more, but he ignored it.

She giggled at his remark and began kissing down his neck instead. "You haven't complained," she teased back, suckling at a particularly sensitive spot of his skin.

"How can I?"

He let her do as she pleased once more.

////

Once she was done, she laid next to him on her side, propping her head up on an arm to look at her Knight. She licked her lips, enjoying the linger of his flavor on them. There was nothing better.

Remembering what he'd been asking, her curiosity resurfaced. "Well, tell me already. I remember. What about it?"

With a smile, he replied, "I was right."

"What do you mean?" She asked, somewhat confused and hoping it wasn't what she was guessing at.

"I have always loved you," he told her. "I think. Not sure what is real and what isn't, honestly. But I chose to believe it all." He smiled so beautifully then, but she couldn't even admire it.

Heart racing, she stated the obvious in a nervous whisper. "You're remembering."

"I—What?"

"How much do you remember?!" She was sitting up now, alarmed and scared at what his memories had shown him.

"Why are you so worried?" He asked, studying her face and clearly not liking her reaction. She wished she could read his mind.

"I'll explain, but please answer."

"Only bits and pieces. Mostly just you and me together."

She sighed in relief, relaxing on the bed again. "Good." She had prayed he wouldn't remember, that this life would be like most, in which he never did. The few times he did remember everything, or was told everything, ended tragically. Knowing that he was remembering scared her to the core, there was no avoiding that now. Whether she told him or not, he'd still end up remembering, like before. This wasn't what she wanted. She was going to tell him the truth about how they're not supposed to have children, and about the loss of their child in this lifetime, but she never wanted to delve so deep.

"Please explain," he urged, his voice full of concern.

She turned to meet his eyes and wrapped her arms around him as best she could in their current position, to reassure him. "It's just... there are things in our past I rather you never see again. I don't want—There's too many dark events there. I wish I wouldn't have remembered either."