Chapter 15-Eccedentesiast

He looks different too. He has gotten skinnier. His eyes look more sunken in. My heart aches for him. He only holds eye contact for a few seconds before he walks away. I wonder where Percy is.

I try to re-engage into the conversation taking place around me. Harry grabs my arm gently and guides me into the building. I feel extremely overwhelmed.

Hermione and Ron run up to us and engulf us in hugs. "We missed you guys so much!" Hermione whines.

"I can't believe you guys didn't write or visit us at all for the rest of the summer. I was stuck with her the entire time," Ron complains pointing at Hermione.

"Sorry guys, we were just very busy," Harry responds.

"Well I at least expect to hear every single detail. But for now, we should go to the dining hall for the welcome back ceremony," Hermione cheers.

I feel lifeless but I keep up with the skipping Hermione. We all sit down at the dining hall table. People are treating me different which is the last thing that I want. I look around, noticing a lot of people are looking at me and whispering to the people next to them. It feels the same as last year; except for a very different reason. 

I look up to the front of the stage. Dumbledore is staring right at Harry and I. "Attention everyone," he bellows. "Welcome back! I am happy to see all of you here. I would like you all to welcome our new defense against the dark arts teacher: Professor Umbridge!"

A short plump woman dressed in all pink makes her way to the center of the stage. I swear her smile would melt right off if put in the sun for too long. She gave a long speech that made me know how horrible her class would be.

After the ceremony, everyone makes their way to their dorm rooms to unpack all of their things. Like before, Hermione and I room together. This time Ginny also rooms with us. The two of them chatter nonstop and I try to fit a word in here and there occasionally. Over the summer the two of them got a lot closer which made me really happy; I have always really liked Ginny.

When we all finish unpacking, we make our way down to the common room to hangout with some of the others.

"So, how was the rest of your guys' summer?" Hermione asks Harry and I.

I speak up before Harry can. "It was a lot of fun. We visited a lot of places and I got to meet a lot of new people," I put on a smile.

"Yeah, we just kept on moving from place to place. I did some work that we talked about before I left, and Millie got to spend some time for herself. It was a very beneficial summer," Harry added.

Everyone nodded in response. The topic changed to each of our schedules. I didn't feel like talking anymore, but I forced myself to participate. Even though I was going through something, it didn't change the fact that I shouldn't push my friends away.

Since the rumors of Voldemort being back have become public news, a lot of people didn't return to school this year. I had nearly every single class with all of my friends. We all decided to go to bed early since tomorrow was our first day of school. 

"This Friday the Ravenclaws are throwing a back to school party," Hermione tells us.

"That will be so fun! We all have to go," Ginny responds.

"Yes, sounds like a blast!" I chime in.

We all fall asleep rather fast from the long day.

Hermione wakes me up from my deep slumber. "Good morning sleepy head, it's time to get ready for school."