Chapter 3-Serendipity

"Fine Amelia," Severus says with disgust.

"Severus, I understand that I am not supposed to associate myself with you here but I just wanted to tell you all about it. Everything is so special and better than I ever thought. I am friends with Hermione, Ron and-and well, Harry," I look up at him for his reaction.

His lip curls in a sneer. "It's one thing for you to be sorted into Gryffindor house, but another to befriend him. You just don't listen do you Amelia?" he spits my name out with more venom.

"You don't understand Severus. I want nothing to do with my parents. I want to be able to show people that I am not like them and that I can be good!" Without saying anything else, I walk out and slam the door behind me.

I can't believe that he would treat me like that. It isn't my fault that I was sorted into Gryffindor and not Slytherin. I wish he would just be happy that I am moving on with my life. In my frenzy, I didn't notice that I had gotten completely lost. I had come across a dead end. All I wanted was a place to be alone. I paced a few times back and forth before finally falling against the wall crying. The only person I had all of my life didn't even want to speak with me. 

Behind me the wall transformed into grand doors. Curiosity got the best of me, so I pushed the doors open and entered the room. There were piles of junk everywhere-from books to furniture, the room was packed with...stuff. 

I wander around taking in my surroundings. I look at the pictures on the walls-they are of people in Hogwarts uniforms. Eventually, I grab a few books and blow the dust off of them. I take them to a couch and sit down. Opening one with a blue cover, I begin reading.

The book I am reading is a diary. The first entry is dated back in 1977. I am pretty sure that is was when Severus was a student at Hogwarts-a few years after my parents. Each entry is signed by the initials N.B.. I do not have any idea who it could be, but I am enticed by what is written. The beautiful handwriting blends each letter into the next. I read about this person's experiences in Hogwarts; it doesn't take long before the person begins mentioning names that I know. I figure out that the person is a woman. She mentions Severus and Draco's father Lucius. They all seem to be very good friends.

It must have been over an hour before I felt myself getting tired. I realize that my friends must be wondering where I am by now. Quickly getting up, I tuck the diary under my shirt. I run back out into the hall. I look behind me to find that the doors that were there before, are slowing shrinking away. I run through the halls until I finally know where I am. Once I finally make it back to the common room, Harry, Ron and Hermione are all sitting on the couches by the fireplace.

"Millie! You scared us so bad We thought perhaps you were taken captive by some Slytherins or something," Hermione shrieks, strangling me in a hug. 

I giggle, trying to set myself free. "No, I am alright. I just got a bit lost," I smile reassuringly.

We all decide to head up to bed considering it is already so late. Hermione and I constantly talk as we get ready for bed. When she isn't looking, I place the diary under the edge of my mattress. Once we say goodnight to one another, I lay under the covers staring up at the ceiling. My mind wanders from Harry and I's adventure last night to Draco and I's continuous encounters and ends with the lunch Cedric and I are going to have tomorrow. All my worries and sadness washes away as I fall into a deep slumber with Cedric on my mind once again.

I wake up to a rustling noise across the room. As I sit up to see what the ruckus is, I see Hermione stuffing a bunch of papers and books into her backpack. Before I can tell her good morning, she is running out of the room. How odd.