Chapter 11 - Embrie's Story

Chapter 11 – Embrie's Story

“Aunt Embrie, what happened why aren’t you at work," Amee asked as she approached Embrie.  She looked at the door that her aunt had come out of that read, “Ernie Bretford, Private Investigator”.

“Um,” Embrie started uncertainly, “Business associate, had to come meet him urgently,” she said the first thing that came to mind. ‘Please buy  the story,’ Embrie silently begged.

“Aunt Embrie, I was pre-med at oxford, that program only fourteen international students a year. You really think you can lie to me,” Amee asked.  She crossed her arms and looked at Embrie, as if to say, ‘Spill it.’

“No seriously he is a business partner,” Embrie said putting her best acting forward. 

“You are a CEO, this is a private investigators office, is there any reason why a CEO would go visit a private business,” Amee asked sarcastically and rolled her eyes.

“Um, oh is that my phone ringing,” Embrie faked as she started digging through her purse.

“I didn’t hear anything,” Amee said raising an eyebrow.

“Of course you didn’t, it’s on silent,” Embrie mocked Amee’s voice.

“Well if it is on silent, how did you hear it,” Amee asked. Embrie looked back at her niece with a face that resembled a deer in the headlights of a fast racing car.  Amee knew that she had caught her aunt and this was going to be juicy.

“Fine, you caught me,” Embrie surrendered.

“So what was the real reason for you going here,” Amee asked.

“Come along I will explain what’s going on,” Embrie said as she motioned Amee to follow her to the closest Ice Cream parlour.

“You know how I used to preach, Parents know best,” Embrie started when they both sat down with their bowls of ice cream.

“Oh aunt Embrie, who could forget? That came at the end of almost every conversation,” Amee said rolling her eyes.

“Well I still do believe it very much,” Embrie said, ‘surprise, surprise,’ Amee thought sarcastically.

“However, we as parents tend to forget that our children have dreams too,” Embrie said and looked at Amee whose mouth was hanging open. ‘What did she just say,’ Amee asked herself.

“They take the values that we instill in them and interpret them according to their experiences and what they see in life developing their own set of values as they grow up,” Embrie paused to look at Amee, “They also develop their own set of interests.”  Amee looked up and smiled and realized that that last bit was about her.

“That’s really deep and all Aunt Embrie, but what does this have to do with the private investigators office,” Amee asked, thinking her aunt was trying to avoid the issue at hand.

“Don’t worry it’s all tied together,” Embrie said.

“Did your dad ever tell you about the boy I was dating before your Uncle,” Embrie asked.

“Well he told me the guy was a total dou—bad person, and left you when he realized that you were going to run away with him and not get any of Grampy’s money” Amee said stopping herself from cursing in front of her aunt.

“Well we all thought that,” Embrie said looking down at her ice cream.

“Thought? What do you mean thought,” Amee asked.

“What I am about to tell you, you can’t tell anyone, do you understand me,” Embrie asked.

“Yes,” Amee said as she locked her lips with an imaginary key and then threw said imaginary key away.

“I want them to hear it from me,” Embrie said and gave Amee a look that read, ‘I will kill you without a thought little girl.’

“Your grandfather called me a few weeks ago, right after your audition actually,” Embrie started she looked at Amee who was listening intently.

“I had just called him to check on how he was doing after his tooth surgery.  He was still high off of the medication they had given him for the pain, he started saying the funniest things.  Through the middle of everything he started telling me how proud he was of me and all that stuff.  Then he said something interesting, he said, ‘Parents always know best you know, I did good by you when I pointed out to that Kevin boy that you would do better without him.’” Embrie ended her narrative. Amee did a spit take with her ice cream right in Embrie’s face.

“I’m sorry what,” Amee asked flabbergasted at the situation. 

“Your grandfather, told Kevin that my life would be better without him,” Embrie confirmed and grabbed the napkins on the table to wipe off the spitted up ice cream.

“Oh my god, I am so sorry Aunt Embrie,” Amee said taking her aunts hand.

“That’s why when Richie asked if you could stay and explained the situation to me I decided that, us Jonna girls we need to start deciding our fate for ourselves.  Your grandfather took my chance.  Not that I regret it, Jared was wonderful and though I wasn’t madly in love with him when we were first married, I fell deeply in love with him in the years after. He gave me two beautiful kids.  Now, there is this big what if in my life.  What if Kevin had been selfish? What if I kept poking to tell me why instead of believing the first excuse he gave me? What if, what if, what if,” Embrie finished.

“Did you tell Uncle Jared about him,” Amee asked.

“I didn’t trust Jared from the start.  After what had happened with Kevin, I didn’t think I could trust anyone again.  Jared never gave up on me though, he gave me time and space and let me tell him, instead of forcing it out of me,” Embrie said smiling thinking of her late husband.

“Uncle Jared, did always know exactly how much space to give us, I miss him,” Amee said.

“Me too,” Embrie agreed and said, “Amee, I want you to know something.  I loved Jared till his dying breath. I don’t regret my time with him one bit, I just need to set the record straight with Kevin.  I just want to know what happened that’s all.  Don’t tell Richie or Ivy about this yet.  Let me figure things out first.” Amee nodded in agreeing with her aunt.

“My lips are sealed” Amee said with a smile