Chapter 17: Head On

I looked at the tin can in my hands. I hadn't eaten for a while. This was a huge improvement, even if it was BL/ind-issued rations.

"Are y'all boys about done?" asked our waitress. We nodded. "Good," she said. "I can't have y'all around much longer. Them maskies like to come in here. If they knew I was servin' you?" She sighed and shook her head.

"We know," I said. "We'll leave soon, don't worry."

"Thank you," she said. "I'll clean up your cans and what-not, so don't you worry about that. Whenever you get done, you run off. Good luck to you."

She walked off, and I quickly finished the can. We stood up and walked out silently.

Grace was laying down under a blanket in the backseat of the car. I opened the door, and she jumped.

"It's just us," I said. "Don't worry." Ray pulled a can out from his jacket and handed it to her. "There," he said.

"Did you steal that?" Mikey asked. Ray grinned.

"Come on," Gerard said, starting the car. "We gotta go."

He started off down the road, and we talked leisurely for a little while. Grace was in the middle of asking how far away we were when the radio beeped loudly, indicating a broadcast from Steve.

"Look alive, sunshine." He was using his radio voice, of course. "109 in the sky, but the pigs won't quit! You're here with me, Dr. Death Defying. I'll be your surgeon, your proctor, your helicopter; pumping out the slaughter-matic sounds to keep you alive! A system failure for the masses, anti-matter for the master plan! Louder than God's revolver and twice as shiny. This one's for all you rock and rollers, all you crash queens and motor babies. Listen up!"

There was a pause, filled with the crackling of static. Then the broadcast resumed.

"The future is bulletproof, the aftermath is secondary. It's time to do it now and do it loud. Killjoys; make some noise!"

There was another beep, signaling the end. "Still can't believe he sent Grace with us," Ray grumbled. "I don't care if Ricky hurt himself on those damn skates. They could've still kept her out of danger!"

"Calm down, Ray," Mikey said. "Grace being in danger is kind of unavoidable. These are danger days. You know that."

Ray sighed. "Yeah, but she would've been safer there."

"Oh, wah wah wah," I teased. "Shoulda woulda coulda, Ray. She's with us. Might as well make the best of it."

"Oh, shit," Gerard said suddenly. "What?" Mikey asked. "What is it?"

"We need gas," Gerard said. "There's a station up here," Ray said, pointing. "I think they have the same deal the diner did."

Deal. I remembered what the waitress had said. "Killjoys? Alright, I'll serve ya. But in and out, got that? I ain't takin' the fall for ya. If anyone asks, I was forced to serve you."

"She was pretty cool, to be honest," I said. Ray grinned. "She likes me."

"She knows you?" Mikey asked. "How?"

"We can get into that later," Ray said.

"Aw, Ray," Mikey whined. "Why is everything 'later' with you?" Ray squeezed Mikey's arm from the backseat.

"Look, when this is all over, you can ask me anything you want," he said. "Okay?"

"You didn't t-" Ray gently shushed Grace. "No," he said. "And you shouldn't either. It can wait."

"I was gonna let you have your secrets, Ray," I said. "But honestly? I'm starting to side with Mikey on this whole thing."

"Both of you should stop worrying," Ray said. "It honestly isn't a huge deal."

It was to me.

It was now going to bug me until it was all over.

Ray gave Gerard directions to the gas station, which turned out to barely be a gas station at all. Two pumps outside of a tiny building. A greasy old guy was inside. He saw Ray and smirked.

"Back for more, eh, Toro?" he called. Ray laughed. "Not for long, man," he said. "Just getting some gas, then we're on the road again." The guy nodded. "Don't worry about money," he said. "It's on me."

Ray thanked him, and Mikey gawked. "Ray, seriously, what aren't you telling us?" he asked. Ray grinned and kissed Mikey's cheek. "Lots of things," he said simply. "But that'll change-"

"Yeah, yeah," Mikey said. His voice turned oafish. "When this is all over." Ray laughed and shook his head. "That's right." Mikey rolled his eyes.

"Go get a magazine or something," Ray said. He pointed at a stand, and Mikey walked over to look at them.

"They have a gun dispenser here?" Gerard said. I looked up and over to where he was looking. Sure enough, there was a huge white BL/ind machine over on the side of the gas station.

"Oh, yeah," Ray said. I'll bet he thought I didn't hear him mumble, "Forgot about that."

Mikey returned to us with an issue of 'Murder' magazine in his hands. "You really read that crap?" Gerard asked. Mikey rolled his eyes, crossing his arms. "I see you reading my old one all the damn time," he pointed out.

Gerard blushed. "Maybe it's because I want to see what's going on," he said sheepishly.

Mikey swatted his brother with the magazine. "Then don't make fun of me for reading it." Gerard stuck his tongue out, not knowing what else to do.

"Toro!"

We all turned to face the old guy in the shop. "Them old choppers is coming around lookin' for ya," he said. "Y'all might wanna grab a gun real quick and get goin' again. Wouldn't wanna be caught, would ya?"

"I wouldn't do that to you, buddy," Ray said. "We'll grab one, then we'll be on our way." The man nodded, his face disappearing into the store again.

"At least tell us who he is?" Mikey prodded. Ray sighed. "Later."

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WHAT IF WE'RE DEAD LATER?!" Mikey shrieked. Everyone, including Grace, shushed him.

"We aren't going to be dead later," Ray said. His tone was firm and gentle at the same time. Mikey sighed. "Fine," he said quietly. "Keep your damn secrets."

He and Ray stared at each other for a second.

"Go get us a gun," Ray said.

Mikey didn't move for a moment, then turned on his heel and walked off without another word.

No one noticed Grace following him.