Chapter 16: Delayed

In the end, Ray had to carry Mikey to the bedroom.

"Why couldn't I just sleep on the table?" Mikey asked. Ray sat him down on the ground, and he bit his lip.

"Because we eat there," Steve said. "We don't want a bunch of dried blood there when you wake up."

"But you can clean it," Mikey argued. "It'll be stuck in your mattress now."

"We don't eat on the mattresses," Steve said. "Besides, do you really want to go all the way back into the kitchen?"

Mikey looked down at his stomach. "No."

Steve grinned. "Alright then. We can talk about this little setback in the morning. All of you; get some rest."

We nodded and Steve walked back into the kitchen. Gerard sighed, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Here," he said. He reached up, then took my bandana from around his neck. He tied it around my neck, just like I'd done for him.

"Thanks," I said. I put my head on his shoulder and sighed. "It certainly has been an eventful night, hasn't it?" I asked. Gerard nodded. "Let's sleep."

We laid down on the mattress that Ray and Mikey weren't on. Gerard leaned forward and kissed me gently.

"You know, Frankie?" he whispered. "Sometimes, I don't want to have to give a shit, you know? But I do, because I have Grace to look after. I want to just run around with Mikey, hiding and baiting ourselves." I nodded. I used to do the same thing, just alone.

"But most of the time, I like giving a shit," he said. "Like, to have a reason to do something. And Grace is that reason. And I like that. I like having her to look after. Baiting yourself is exhilarating, yes, but it's also scary as hell. You know that." I nodded again.

"BL/ind... They have some scary shit going on," he said. "That's why we have to take them out. That's why we have to protect Grace." Another nod from me.

Gerard sighed. "We'll get this figured out," I whispered, placing my hand on his chest. "Don't worry."

Gerard tucked his arm over me, pulling me against him. "I won't," he said simply. "So long as you're here with me."

I blushed. "I'm not going anywhere if I can help it," I said. "And you better be doing the same." He smiled. "I won't," he said again.

"Do you promise?" I asked. I took his pinky finger with mine, just for the hell of it.

"I promise."

~

"Wake up, fuckers!"

I jumped, rolling off of the mattress. Gerard laughed and pulled me back up.

"Ricky, what the hell?" Mikey asked tiredly. He rubbed his eyes and cringed. I figured he had to be pretty sore.

"We gotta discuss how we're doing this, duh," Ricky said. "I mean, obviously your little belly is gonna be a problem, so our old plan isn't going to work very well."

"But you know, if that's what one of their exterminators can do, I don't even see why we have to change plans," I pointed out. "He didn't do a very good job."

"I know, I know," Ricky said, rolling his eyes. "But can you please just come on? I don't feel like dealing with this this morning."

We sighed, slowly getting to our feet. Mikey held onto Ray's arm for support as they walked.

"In here!" Steve called from the broadcasting room. We walked inside, where Steve and Ricky were staring at some maps on the wall.

"Frank, you don't still have that headquaters map, do you?" Steve asked. I nodded and handed it over.

"Awesome, thanks." Steve tacked it onto the wall, then turned to us.

"We don't give a fuck anymore," he said firmly. "We're not winging it, but we don't care. Got that?"

The four of us looked at each other. We nodded slowly, confused.

"You four are going in, but you're taking the car. Me and Ricky are taking the van. You're still gonna take Korse hostage. Bam. Plan."

"That's your plan?" Gerard asked. Mikey and I shushed him.

"That's my plan," Steve said. "Look, getting it done is all that matters, isn't it?"

"But what about Grace?" Mikey asked. "We can't exactly just leave her here."

"Who says?"

"I say!" Ray snapped. "We are not leaving my niece here. No way."

"She'll be safer," Steve said. "She'll be alone!" I cried.

"She needs someone with her," Gerard said. "Besides, didn't you used to care about her more than I did?"

"I still do," Steve said simply. Gerard tensed, and I placed my hand lightly on his thigh. "But I think taking her with any of us is more dangerous than leaving her."

"Then you and Ricky stay," I said, not expecting the words to come tumbling out of my mouth. "We'll go. You can broadcast us any news you get. And you can give us something to let us know when to go."

"Are you crazy?!" Ricky cried. "Yes, I am," I said. "But Grace won't be left by herself."

"We can do it," Ray said.

"Wait wait wait wait," Gerard said. "Four people? In BL/ind headquarters? Frankie, you're amazing and everything, but what the fuck are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking about the girl," I said.

Gerard opened his mouth, then sighed and flopped backwards on the couch. "You know what? It's up to you guys."

I looked around. "Are you up for it?" I asked. Ray and Mikey looked at each other. Ray gently placed his hand on Mikey's bandage. Mikey paused, then put his hand down.

"I am," he said quietly. Ray looked at me and nodded.

"That's it, then," Steve said. "You versus BL/ind."