Chapter 23: Reversed

I woke up in an umfamiliar place. I rolled over and realized that I was in a bed.

An actual bed.

Then I remembered. The pills Steve, Ricky, Kristan, Grace and I had all taken the night before. We'd stood in a circle, sworn to remember, then taken them.

The pill was specially developed to make us immune to the national mental brainwash.

Apparently, it worked.

But I was in New Jersey, where I'd come from. With the people I called my family. The people who would never know anything about BL/ind's takeover, or anything about the people I'd met.

I sighed and climbed out of bed, catching I glimpse of myself in the mirror. I fell back and stared.

I didn't even recognize myself.

My hair was back in the awful dreadlocks I had. The weight I'd lost was back. But the most eye-catching thing to me was that my scar was gone.

I touched my face, then the dresser, then the mirror, trying to make sure that it was all real.

It was.

And Gerard and Mikey and Ray were all still dead. I had no idea where Steve and Ricky were, or Kristan.

Or Grace.

My chest tightened just thinking about the lot of them. I loved them all so much, in so many different ways. I'd never loved anyone that much. Hell, not even my mother could make me feel that level of emotion.

I slumped into the living area, remembering the layout of my house. I was the first one awake.

I was in the middle of pouring myself a cup of coffee when there was a knock at the door. I swore, putting the pot and the mug down.

I went over to the door and opened it. There was a young boy standing in front of me. Something in the back of my head was screaming for me to recognize him, but I couldn't put my finger on who he was.

He, like me, had a bit of chub (not that it was unflattering). He had close-cut brown hair and a hoodie that hung down over his old denim jeans.

He had nice hazel eyes, a curiously different nose, and lips that were stuck in a-

A permanent sexy smirk.

"No," I said. "No, this can't be real. There's no way."

The boy smiled. "It is, Frankie," he said. "Come here. Give Gee a little love."

I threw my arms around Gerard, holding him tighter than I'd ever held anyone else. I really couldn't believe it was him.

"But... But you died," I said into his hoodie. "I got shot," he corrected. "Korse may have been head of the S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W unit, but they never taught him to check that his victims were dead before leaving them."

"Oh my God," I said. "So if you're alive, does that mean..."

Gerard smiled and nodded. "Yep."

"Oh my God!" I said again. "You have to let me see him!" He laughed. "Okay," he said. "Come with me, then."

"Hang on," I said. I ran over and grabbed a sticky note off the fridge. I took the pen from beside it and quickly scribbled that I was going out for a bit.

I was going to pour the coffee in the mug back into the pot for my family (whose faces I barely even remembered), but Gerard had invited himself inside and downed it.

"Sorry, Frankie," he said. "Can't help myself. It's been too long since I've had some of this stuff."

"It's whatever," I said. I took his hand. "Now take me to Mikey!"

Gerard laughed. He led me out to his car, then drove across town.

"You don't live that far from me," I commented. He shook his head. "Wait," I said suddenly. "How did you know where I lived?!"

"I asked my grandma Elena if any 'Ieros' lived around here," he said. "And she knows everyone in Jersey. So here I am."

I smiled and shook my head. "Stalker," I teased. "Your favorite," he countered. I couldn't fight him on that one.

We walked inside, and I was tackled by the younger Way before I could even look at him.

"Frank!" he cried. "Oh, man, I missed you so much!"

"I missed you, too, Mikes," I laughed, squeezing him. I stood back to get a glimpse of him.

His hair was a blonde mess, and he was wearing glasses now. Other than that, he was still the Mikey I fought beside.

"Wait," Gerard said. "We have to go somewhere else. We aren't done yet."

We filed out to his car, and he drove back across town, several blocks away from my house.

"Gerard," Mikey said slowly. "Whose house is this?"

Gerard grinned. "You'll see."

I could practically hear Mikey's heart pounding as we walked up to the door.

Gerard was the one brave enough to actually knock. It took a little bit, but eventually someone with curly hair and a face I'd know anywhere opened the door.

"He-" Mikey didn't even let Ray finish before he grabbed him in such a ferocious kiss that it put me and Gerard to shame.

"Ray, oh my God, Ray..." Mikey put his arms around Ray's neck, not looking like he wanted to let go anytime soon.

"Wait just a damn second," I said. "Does anyone else remember, 'When this is all over?'"

Ray looked away from us. "Is there somewhere better we could discuss this?" he asked quietly. Gerard pointed at his car.

It was pretty obvious that he had become accustomed to driving.

But at this point, I didn't really care.

We were about to learn Ray's secrets.