Chapter 12: Records

I followed Gerard into the house quietly. We weren't going to say anything to Mikey about this until it was just the three of us.

Grace was sitting with Steve in his radio area. "Oh, my God," he said. "When Mikey came back in by himself, I got worried. Look, you guys have gotta be careful."

"We know," Gerard said. "No," Steve countered. "Like, more than ever. The news has gotten to BL/ind that you were the ones who killed that exterminator, and now you're above Gracie on the wanted lists."

"Above her?" Gerard asked, pointing at Grace. Steve nodded. "Above her. They're going to start broadcasting about you. You better take this. Mikey and Frank can use Mikey's bandanas that he loves so much."

Steve reached under his desk and tossed Gerard something brightly colored. Gerard caught it and we looked at it. It was a yellow eye-mask, three blue circles decorating it.

"What's this for?" Gerard asked. "A disguise," Steve said. "When you can't use your main identity concealers."

"What identity concealers?" I asked. Steve stood up and gestured for us to follow him.

He led us to the main area and opened up a closet door. Inside were four helmets, a big, furry blue animal head, and a green mask.

"Who are these for?" Gerard asked. Steve sighed. "You guys ask a lot of questions, don't you?"

"When it has to do with saving our asses, yes," Gerard said, irritation in his voice. I placed two fingers against his wrist. He glanced down at me, then looked back up.

"Look." Steve pointed at the mask. "This is yours, Frank." I nodded. I hated masks, but it'd be okay.

"This is yours," he said to Gerard, gesturing towards the animal head. Gerard gave it a weird look, but nodded anyway.

"This is Mikey's." He patted the helmet with the words 'Good Luck' printed across the eye-guard.

"Ray's." He pointed at the futuristic, astronaut-like helmet.

"Ricky's." A light purple helmet with white polka-dots. A pink pistol hung above it.

"And Grace's." He pointed at what looked like a very make-shift helmet. It was coated with fabric, and the places where her ear went looked like they were made for an elephant.

"Why is it so big?" I asked. "She doesn't like the sound of guns," Steve explained. I nodded. I could understand that. I hadn't when I was her age, either.

Steve closed the door of the closet. "Now," he said. "Me and Ricky are gonna work. We'll watch the angel. The four of you need to take this and learn it like the back of your hand." He ripped one of the many papers off the wall and handed it to me. He had walked into the radio room before I could ask what it was.

We found Ray and Mikey in the kitchen with Ricky. Ray was sitting at a computer-

"A COMPUTER!" I cried. Ricky nearly fell down.

"Yes, a computer," Mikey said. "Are you okay?"

I shook my head. "You saw how he reacted to the radio," Gerard said, ruffling my hair.

"What's he even doing?" I asked. Ray seemed intent on what he was doing. I notcied that he had on headphones as he typed, too, which made me really excited.

I was basically a little kid in a candy shop.

"Something that no one else can do," Mikey said, leaning on Ray's shoulders. "He's going into BL/ind's records."

"He's doing WHAT?!" Gerard shouted. "No, stop him! He's going to get us all killed!"

He dove for the computer's plug, but Mikey stopped him. "Gerard, relax!" he cried. "He knows a way he can do it where BL/ind can't get him. Just let him work."

Gerard and I exchanged glances. It was silent in the room except for the fast clicking of the computer keys.

"Just like that!" Ray cried suddenly, slamming down the enter key. A screen with many different buttons came up, and Ray grabbed the mouse. He seemed to know exactly what to click.

Then, a username and password screen came up. Ray took a deep breath and keyed it in with great speed.

"Wait, Ray," Mikey said. "How did you-"'

"We can talk about that later," Ray said gruffly. "Point is, I can see what they have on us."

He moved the mouse around the screen and clicked on 'Wanted.' Sure enough, we were all the top five. Gerard Way was number one, Michael Way was number two, Raymond Toro was three, I was four, and Grace Toro was number five.

"What do they have on us?" I asked. Ray clicked on Gerard's picture. "Full name, age, birth date, parents, siblings, all that."

He went back, then clicked Mikey's picture. "Same deal."

He skipped his own picture.

"Hey," Gerard said. "How come your picture was so recent?" Ray shrugged. "They're sneaky bastards, aren't they?"

"Ray, how come you're being so secretive?" Mikey asked. "I'm not," Ray said simply.

And there was nothing else to it.

I felt a tug at my sleeve and looked over at Gerard. He jerked his head towards the door. I nodded, and we walked into the bedroom.

"What's up with him?" Gerard whispered. "I have no idea," I said. "There's definitely something he isn't telling us. I don't like it."

Gerard ran his fingers through his hair. "I knew this was a trap, I just knew it!"

"We still don't know that," I said. "I mean, Steve and Ricky are helping us plan to break into BL/ind and make them surrender."

"But how do we know that they aren't working with BL/ind?" he asked. "And how do we know Steve won't be using his little 'pirate' radio station to tell Korse and his minions when we're coming so they can kill us?"

"We don't," I said softly, placing a hand on his arm. "But our job is to keep Grace safe. And that's all that matters, isn't it?"

He looked at me. "Oh, Frank," he said. "That child is far too quiet."