Chapter 13: Mind Games

"How do you even trust me?" I asked quietly.

Gerard sighed. "I don't know, honestly," he said. "Are you saying I shouldn't?"

"No," I said. "It's just that you seem so skeptical of everyone."

"Well, I have to be," he said. I sighed. I knew he was right.

"Besides, you really haven't given me any reason not to trust you," he said. "Steve and Ricky and Ray? They all have. Steve and Ricky have their weird desert setup, and they can get their hands on computers and radio equipment and this." He patted the car. "And... Well, you know about Ray."

"Mikey certainly seems to trust him," I pointed out. "Mikey's blinded by his attraction," Gerard countered.

I sighed again. That definitely sounded right.

"Are you going to do it anyway?" I asked. "What, LAS?" Gerard said. I nodded.

"I think I am," he said. "I mean, I can't let you guys do it without me. It would be too dangerous."

"We need you," I said. "You're like our leader at this point." He laughed quietly. "You think so?"

I nodded. "I mean, you're like, really fucking badass."

Gerard laughed again and shook his head. He rolled onto his side, resting his elbow on the windshield so he could look at me.

"Whatever you say, Frankie."

"So Mikey thinks we're messing around behind their backs," I said after a little bit. "Ah, yeah," Gerard said. "But it's okay, right?"

"Yeah," I said. "I mean, he can think what he wants. It's what is and what isn't that matters."

"That's a good way to live," Gerard said. "But it's also right in this situaton." I nodded.

"But the question is," he said slowly, "What is?"

I blushed. I certainly wanted us to be, but Gerard was so... Gerard that the idea of a relationship with him scared the shit out of me. Then again, earlier today...

"Good question," I said.

"Come on now, Frankie," he said gently. "Do you know the answer?"

Oh my God, I did, but I couldn't say that!

"You can tell me."

I couldn't.

I wish he'd just shut up.

It'd be a hell of a lot easier to lie to him.

"I'm not going to be mad..."

Why wouldn't he just shut up?!

"I can tell you won't be mad, either..."

"Oh, my God," I said. I couldn't deal with him. "Just stop talking." He smirked at me. "Aw, that's no fun," he said. He was making his voice all low and sexy like this on purpose, I just knew it!

And then he had me pinned against the windshield, just like earlier. I was praying to every single god I'd ever fucking heard of. I was not getting aroused.

"This is more fun," Gerard purred.

"Who even are you?" I asked. He grinned and leaned down. Our faces were so close together that his features blurred.

"I'm just Gerard, Frankie," he whispered. "And I know you love every inch."

"Whatever," I said, trying not to let him know how much he was getting to me.

For the love of God, we weren't together! We couldn't do this! I mean, I had no problem with gay people, but-

"I don't think it's whatever," Gerard said. "I think it matters quite a lot, to be completely honest with you."

"Can I sit up?" I asked. He climbed off of me and crossed his legs.

We stared at each other for a minute. And then I couldn't control myself.

I grabbed Gerard by the head and kissed him. His lips were soft and gentle. He tasted sweet somehow, and I liked it.

I felt his arms slide around my waist, and he pulled me forward into his lap. I ran my fingers through his hair, letting my other hand slide down to rest on his neck.

God, he was an amazing kisser. I gently nudged him down against the car so that I could lie down.

I didn't want to let go of him, but I had to breathe.

I rested my head on his shoulder. I draped my arm across his chest, running my thumb over the 'Dead Pegasus' patch on his jacket.

"Gerard?" I said.

"Hm?" he said, stroking my hair.

"That's my answer."

~

"Oh my God, there you are!"

I jumped at Mikey's voice. I lifted my head from Gerard's chest and looked over at him.

"You guys cannot stay outside all night!" Mikey said. "You'll get yourselves killed! Come inside."

"What for?" Gerard asked. Mikey rolled his eyes. "What did I just say?" he asked. "You'll die if you don't. Now, up."

Gerard and I got down off of the car, stretching.

It was quiet for about three seconds. "So, you still keeping this a secret?" Mikey asked. Gerard and I groaned.

"Alright, Mikey, listen," I said. "The nose thing was weird, but true. Now," I glanced up at Gerard, who smirked at me, "I think it was a form of flirting. But now..."

"There's no need to hide anything anymore," Gerard finished. He reached out and took my hand.

"I knew you'd been acting differently!" Mikey squealed. "I knew it! Aww, Gee!" Gerard blushed and rolled his eyes.

"Whatever," he said. "Now, can you and Ray stop trying to hide your... whatever it is?"

"Frank," Mikey whined. "You promised not to tell!"

"I didn't!" I cried. Gerard laughed. "Mikey, you're just an idiot who can't hide his affection."

Mikey blushed.

"Whatever."