Chapter 4: Adventures in Art

"Why would you keep me cooped up in there for so long?" Croire demanded. "Do you want me to suffocate?"

Neptune and her mother were sitting in the latter's bedroom. They agreed that it was time to talk to their resident tome, and try to convince her to act appropriately around the young Nepgear.

"Wanting you to suffocate and wanting you to behave are two different things, Croire," Merci said.

"Not where I'm standing," Croire countered.

"I hardly think that sort of attitude is needed right now."

"You're not my mother!"

"You know, Croirsty, all we want is for you to not be rude to my sister, or to say bad words," Neptune spoke up.

"Oh, I'll do whatever the f*** I want, b****," Croire replied.

"Then, I suppose we'll have to leave you inside my desk for now," Merci said.

"What! No wai-" Croire started, but she was plopped in her desk drawer, which was then closed and locked. Croire's muffled complaints sounded through, but Merci just sighed.

"How do you sleep like this?" Neptune asked.

"Earplugs," she answered simply.

"Oh..."

"Still, this is very stressful... You know what, let's do something together as a family."

"Oh, that sounds fun! What are we going to do?"

Merci thought about it for a moment, and then asked, "do you still like drawing, Neptune?"

"...Hm, haven't done that since I was younger," Neptune answered. "But maybe Nepgear would like to color."

"Yes, that's what I mean."

"Then let's do it!"

With a plan in place, Merci went to grab some paper and crayons, while Neptune got her sister, along with Uzume and Umio.

Once everyone gathered, Nepgear looked up at her sister and mother, asking curiously, "what are we doing?"

"Yeah," Uzume chimed in. "What's going on?"

"Well, my mom needs to de-stress..." Neptune replied, "so we're going to color together!"

"Really..."

"That actually sounds very interesting," Umio said.

"You sure?" Uzume continued, skeptical.

"Awe, I'd thought you would've loved to draw something cool," Neptune told her.

Uzume gave her a determined look, and said, "Alright, I will draw the coolest thing ever, and you can't stop me!"

And then Nepgear responded with, "wow...!"

Merci chuckled. "Yes, I think we could all use some de-stressing and take some time to color. Artistic expression is a good way to process feelings."

"Then let's do it!" Uzume exclaimed.

"Yay!" Nepgear cheered, as she reached for the crayons in her mother's hand.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Within the next few minutes, everyone was in various positions, on the kitchen floor (Neptune, Nepgear, and Uzume), sitting at the table (Merci), even Umio had joined in, working on the counter.

Nepgear had already finished one drawing, and was working on a second, through a seeming surge of inspiration (for what, nobody knew, yet). Neptune was taking her time with her piece, and Uzume was deep in thought about what she was doing. All the while, Merci and Umio were pretty calm as they drew.