Chapter 5: Out into the World

It was yet another day in the Nep household. It's been over a week since they arrived back home in the Ultradimension. Merci and Nepgear had gone out to pick up some stuff from the store, while Neptune tried to recount to Uzume and Umio some places in this dimension's Planeptune that she remembered, ...which wasn't much.

"...There was this arcade, I think it is called..." Neptune tried to remember what she was talking about, but it was lost to her.

"Oh, don't worry about it," Umio replied, "it's been a long time since you were here, it's okay if you don't remember. I'm sure you will recognize it if we go looking."

"Yeah, Umio's right. I'm sure you'll remember at some point," Uzume added.

"Heh, heh, heh... Yeah..." Neptune replied, sheepishly rubbing her back.

"For now, let's just head over there and enjoy playing the games they have," Umio smiled.

At that moment, Merci and Nepgear had returned home. Nepgear proudly held something up, exclaiming, "I got a backpack!" It was a purple and pink bag with blue straps, made for Nepgear's tiny size.

Merci walked in behind her, carrying bags full of various other stuff.

"Wow, that's so cool!" Neptune said. "So... what's this for?"

"You don't know, Neptune?" Merci asked. "Nepgear is going to kindergarten tomorrow. With everything that has happened, I just forgot to pick up school supplies for her."

"Kindergarten? She's going to school?"

"Yes. You should know, you used to go, too. And I bet you never finished after leaving on your prolonged adventure," Merci replied in subtle disappointment.

"Well..."

"Your mother is right, you know," Umio chimed in. "Perhaps you should consider taking night classes to get caught up."

"What, you want me to work? Come on," Neptune cried.

Merci sighed. "You never change, do you." She thought about this for a moment longer. "You know, you're an adult now. You should be doing something with your life, Neptune. If not school, you should at least get a job."

"I mean..."

"You know I'm right. And as for your friend," Merci turned to Uzume, "weren't you going to go find a CPU Memory for yourself?"

"Well, yeah, but... you know... Lil' Gearsy," the redhead tried to defend herself, in her sunshine voice.

"Well, maybe since Nepgear will be gone all day tomorrow, you two can go out and find work!"

The two girls both got sheepish expressions with sweat drops.

"If I may, perhaps it would be beneficial to do Guild work," Umio said. "Both of you are skilled fighters, so it would be work both of you are capable of doing. Plus, it would be a good chance for Uzume to search for the CPU Memory she wants, and Neptune is more of the outdoors type of person, so she'd be more reliable in that regard."

"Wait, they're fighters?" Merci said. "I mean, I guess it would make sense for Uzume, if she is a goddess, but Neptune?"

"Well, I've been traveling dimensions, collecting new specimens, and well... You tend to run into monsters a lot. That's why I carry my twin swords and pistol wherever I go," Neptune explained.

"Wait, excuse me! Do... do you have those weapons on you right now!?"

"Yeah. But, don't worry, they're in my inventory, so Nep Jr. can't get to them," Neptune continued, referring to the pocket space people had access too, so they could summon whatever they needed to their side when they needed it.