Chapter Twelve

Kai gripped Nicolas's hand tightly while they sat in his car at the school's parking lot. They had spent the weekend together, with Nicolas fussing over Kai like a mother hen and Kai basking in the attention. But now they were forced out of it and had no choice but to go to school and face a certain someone.

"What if she tries to talk to me? What if she does something weird again?" Kai asked Nicolas with a frown coating his features.

"I won't let her. I'll be with you the whole day, okay?" Nic assured Kai, squeezing Kai's hand in a comforting manner. "Come on let's get you to homeroom."

They got out of the car and walked into the school building. Kai was nervous. He wasn't scared of Mary, per say but she definitely made his anxiety spike up. Every time he thought of Friday night his heartbeat went out of control and his hands turned clammy.

But Nicolas had been there every single time seeing as they were glued to the hip since Friday and he brought Kai back with gentle words and soothing hugs.

When they finally arrived in front of his class the hallways were practically empty and Kai turned to Nicolas with sad, anxious eyes.

"Don't want you to leave." He mumbled, twisting his fingers together.

"Hey." Nic cooed grabbed Kai's facing in between his hands and tilting his head up. "You won't be alone in there. Noelle and Arthur are going to be with you and then I'll see you in math okay?"

"Okay." Kai nodded, trying not to be so clingy anymore. He wasn't a baby and there was no need to act like this.

Nicolas smiled at him and after a moment of hesitation he lent down and pressed a feather light kiss against Kai's forehead.

Kai's eyes widened in shock and his cheeks furiously flushed bright red as he stared at his best friend who only softly smiled at him.

Nicolas actually k-kissed him!

His heart was out of control and his mind became a jumbled mess as Nicolas pushed him towards the door.

"I'll see you." He said grinning and turned around before Kai could say something.

"B-bye." Kai shouted before entering the class in a flustered mess.

As soon as he entered the bell rang and he quickly shuffled to his seat.

"Kai!" Before Kai could even blink Noelle lunched at him. He softly laughed and hugged her back and smiled at Arthur over her shoulder.

"Are you okay?" She asked as soon as she pulled away scanning him for any kind of injury.

"I'm okay." He said with a reassuring smile.

"I'm so so sorry for leaving you alone!" She said with guilt swirling in her dark brown eyes.

"It's okay Noelle. You had no idea what would have happened." He said in a low voice.

"We still should have kept you in sight." Arthur added and he too was drowning in guilt.

"Guys it's okay!" Kai exclaimed. "No more apologies."

After another twenty minutes and useless prodding from their homeroom teacher they were free to leave and get to first period. As he walked out, Kai looked at the hallways filled with students and wondered if he was going to bump into anyone as he got to class. He didn't want to walk alone but he knew he was just being foolish and quite cowardly.