Chapter | Forty-three

Začít od začátku

I pull her dress over her head then bend over, and kiss softly her lips in the process and not stopping while lightly I push her onto the bed and lay myself down next to her.

I wrap my arms around her body and squeeze her to my chest while she throws a lazy leg over my hip and curls her arms around me, her cheeks and lips connecting with the skin of my chest, cuddling in my arms, feeling the heat of her body but still shaking.

"Enzo..." she calls my name in a muffled voice.

"Hm," I reply.

"I love you..." she breathes those words, rolling them out on her lips in the most perfect way.

I tighten the grip around her tiny body and bury my nose in the crook of her neck.

"God, you're still shaking, baby," I tell her with worry, but soon her breath becomes regular, and I know she's sleeping already.

I pull the cover over our bodies, tucking it along her back, making sure she's well covered both by the blanket and by my stronghold, hoping she warms up.

I let myself drift to light sleep, feeling her hot forehead with my lips, peppering soft kisses.

There must have been a couple of hours that I've dozed off, being still dark outside. I'm laid on my back and Eve is still curled around me, her hot breath fanning on my chest.

She is deeply asleep, and I slowly untangle her from me, crawling down from the bed and walking out before I make sure she's well covered.

I stroll through the living and make my way to the kitchen grabbing my boxers from the floor next to the kitchen island where I've dropped them last night, continuing my walk to the fridge and taking out a bottle of water which I open and let the chill of it slide down my throat.

"You just couldn't keep yourself the fuck away, Enzo, could you?" I hear Lucas' voice growling from behind me.

My back stiffens, and I slowly put the bottle of water on the counter, turning around.

I walk towards the island picking up my pants and pulling them on, buckling my belt, letting the silence settle between us, hoping it will make Lucas understand I don't want any conflict.

"Lucas..." I greet him, walking closer to him, hardly seeing him in the dark but his figure becomes clearer as I'm closing in, sitting on the sofa, legs spread ahead, arms hanging along his sides with one hand on his gun placed next to him.

I run one hand through my hair and sit on the coffee table in front of him. His eyes are stormy blue, frowned and hard, staring at me with fury.

I glare at him, knowing all along that I'm surely going to face him one day and settle this once and for all.

And maybe that day is today.

I bend over, pinning my elbows on my knees and clasping my hands together, looking at him fuming, ready to jump and rip my head off.

"Listen, Lucas..." I start.

"Don't you dare start that with me, Benito! Don't you dare give me lessons again like you know all the shitty secrets of life," he roars at me.

"Oh yeah? What the fuck makes you think I want to do that?!" I shout back at him.

"You've always been stuck in my neck, Enzo. You've always sniffed around us, always playing the better part, always giving this overwhelming care, always rumoring around Becca, always reminding me what a fucking hero you are giving up on her for me!" he spits, breathing hard and shaking with rage.

"Don't go there, Lucas. I did what was right for Becks," I reply, holding high his anger.

"Her name is Rebecca!" he yells.