Chapter 4 - There is Someone

"What do you mean, Sebastian? Is this some kind of a joke?" I asked him.

"This is not a joke, Noelle. You still look at me the same way you did when we fell in love." He stated as if it was something I couldn't realise.

"How observant of you?" I mocked a laugh, "You didn't see this love in my eyes when you came to know I cheated on you?" This lunch was a bad idea, I didn't want to argue with him especially if I wanted to tell him about Nathan. My mind had stopped working already and arguing with him was not going to do any good.

He remained silent.

"Look Sebastian," I tried to sound indifferent, "I will always have a soft corner for you if that's what you're asking about. We spent four good years together, it's natural that I still feel somewhat attached."

"Why did you cheat on me?"

I sighed.

"You have never asked this question before. What prompted you to ask this now?" He had only asked me if I had really cheated on him, and that was it. No why, no how, no other question.

"Because I didn't get the closure I deserved, Noelle. Looking at your face still fills me with anger. Tell me, after everything we had together, after making you my priority every fucking time," his voice was dangerously low, and his eyes were hard on me, "how could you go to someone else so easily?"

I gulped.

My hands were shaking under the table. I knew if I tried to give him some reason – which would be a lie – I'll fumble over my words with how nervous I already was. He would catch onto my lie, and it would only make things worse. I didn't know what to say, how to make him believe, because I knew if I said the truth, I won't have the energy to explain the entire incident to him.

Especially since we still had Nate to talk about.

"I did not cheat on you." I blurted, my fingers turning cold at the look he gave me next.

He kept staring at me for a while. In the meantime, our orders came, and I started eating like a pig instantly – anything to keep myself from looking back at Sebastian.

I realized I still couldn't tell him the entire truth, yet. I didn't know the extent of bonding between him and his stepfather, and in these past six years, anything could have happened. I couldn't really trust him, because I was an enemy not, not a priority.

"You know what, I don't want to talk about this." I said to him in between the morsels, "We are here to learn to be civil, so let's do that. Let's forget the past and be fucking civil."

He was gritting his teeth, still staring at me, "Why didn –"

"No more questions, Sebastian." I cut him off, my voice firm, "You have asked me a lot of questions, now I think, it's my turn. Is there anything I need to know about, so that I don't create a scene at the wedding?" I raised my brow.

His jaw was hard, and I was pretty sure that his eyes were staring daggers in my head. I was just focusing on my food and not looking at him directly to avoid looking at his fury.

I had no idea what I had done. Whatever came to my mind in the moment, I did.

Sebastian and I ate our food in brooding and nervous silence respectively. We both knew that I stopped paying attention to almost everything around me once I started eating.

Yet, I could still feel him burning as he ate across me, waiting for me to open my mouth and say something more to support the statement I had made before.