Prologue 2

"Sebastian?"

Reece appeared at the door of my office, his face glowing with what I could only call happiness. He wasn't displaying any such emotion on his face, but it was quite noticeable that something good had happened to him. At first, I was confused as to what the fuck he was doing here, but then I remembered that sometimes Reece liked to disturb me now and then.

He had no business at my workplace and secondly, he was quite a busy person himself.

"What are you doing here?" My tone wasn't welcoming at all. I was not in a mood to entertain friends and I didn't want to ruin Reece's happy face.

He rolled his eyes, "Nice to meet you, too, buddy. I was just checking in if you weren't too busy."

"I'm very busy." My reply was immediate, and I went back to the file that needed my attention.

We were going to meet in the evening anyway, if there was something he wanted to tell me, he could tell me then.

It was not like I was very busy, but everyone knew that I became a different person at work. Reece, more than anyone, knew that during work hours, I didn't want any interruptions if it wasn't anything urgent.

And if I was not working, I hated getting calls from work.

"You always are." He smirked, and took a seat on the couch right across from my desk, "But since you are all alone, I think you can spare your friend a few minutes to talk."

Now, what he was going to talk about?

Reece was probably going to tell me what had made him look happy and I was genuinely curious; months of going through the torture of seeing him waste himself away and them him turning up looking so clean and tidied up a week ago was a surprise in itself.

He was happy now, and I had missed this face of his for quite a while. We had all pressed him into telling what had triggered his sudden change, but he refused to tell us anything.

He was only very determined to win his girlfriend back when he had come a week ago, and he had been busy the entire week pursuing her.

Now he looked happier and I wanted to know what had happened. I knew that Amelia and he had sorted things out two days ago, so something must have happened today to make him come here all the way to my office.

Reece was a wonderful man, and just as amazing was his girlfriend Amelia. Both of them had been close to me in the past six years, and were the only ones who could get me away from my work and make me want to enjoy my time a little. They had been the ones who had brought me out of my crazed, obsessed haze when I had broken up with my ex.

I didn't even want to go there now.

"Of course, Reece," I closed the file I was reading and put it aside, "That is, if you also tell me where you had disappeared before and what had happened there."

"I see you still want to know." He had a teasing lilt to his words.

I narrowed my eyes, "Of course, I want to know. You disappeared from the face of the earth in god knows what condition. And you come back after weeks, completely different and determined. You are happier now, Reece, I want to know what happened there. We are all happy for you but we were all so fucking worried and you didn't even think about calling us and informing us that you were fine!" I gritted out.

"Hey, I'm sorry," his mouth pressed in a thin line, "I wasn't thinking about anyone else, I'm sorry." He sighed, "But I will tell you what, or rather who, helped me get myself together."

"I'm waiting," I leaned forward of my elbows and focused on him.

"I was in Seattle." He started, "Drunk out of my mind; I don't even know how I ended up there. I got caught in the wrong situation, was beaten up." I winced – he had never said a word. I could have helped him. He could have stayed here and we could have found someone here, "Some kind Samaritan took me to this hospital where they had this counselor of sorts."